Reply to Dick Grindly etc. and more loose ends

  • BJ & FM Poke
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 1999
      DICK - Thank you very much for spreadsheet.

      Oak chips in Australian home brew shops anyway are usually Quercus Alba (American White Oak) and are applied as per the label. I prefer to use a natural essence as not only is it more accurate, but is actually "less harsh". To make this infusion yourself, take equal proportions w/v of chips and neutral spirit at about 70% and soak for approximately one month, agitating as often as possible or percolate using a pump, then separate the two and apply solution (tincture) at a rate of about 10/15 ml per litre, or to taste of spirit at 40%. Or if you want to be really upmarket, take the tincture and simmer it very slowly until the volume is 75% less than original and you should have a fairly concentrated essence. In processing, remember it's frightfully volatile!!!

      Australia will become a republic this weekend, I hope that changes the thinking on home distilling regulations in this country.

      If unmalted barley is 6 x cheaper than sugar, why am I not researching the use of a KOJI applied to the unmalted barley to make a neutral spirit?? Anyone done any work in this area??

      Dick, For intellectual property reasons, I can't be too specific about how we "cut" where I am, but lets say I was the distiller at Ardberg with one wash still and one spirit still, I would run all the spirit out of the washstill as low wines, load this into the spirit still and run foreshots, high wines, with a cut at betwixt 65/60 then the rest as feints down to %. The feints could then go back to the wash still or spirit still for the next batch. If I were at Ardberg, I would probably run them back to the wash still. We have a cylindrical mash tun, the only one of its kind in the world, I believe, designed by us. Works well, very little negative pressure under the lauter screen.

      Many Regards to All
      Brian