Carbon Polishing again

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2000
      Tom,
              Having just posted my latest e-mail to you and downloading Tonys e-mail at the same time I see there is a little conflict in what Tonys and I am saying although we are in basic agreement. If you have everything perfect what comes off the still is pure and you can drink it almost immediately after allowing it to cool a little and diluting it. Unfortunately this is not always the case and the only section of  the distillation you can probably say this about is the middle cut. This is even more true of most home distillers than commercial ones although some do and can produce purer alcohol than commercially due to scale.
      Although a lot of commercial distillers would deny it and claim their process is perfect and that they dont need carbon treatment the fact of the matter is that most do use some form of treatment for the same reasons that bandaids and other plasters end up in meat pies occassionaly. Because of the human factor you cant stop it happening but by guarding against it you can make sure its nil or negligible. This is the reason I strongly advocate the use of activated carbon especially by those of us starting out. As one progresses and learns hopefully the requirement becomes less and less.
      B.r.  David