Re: [Distillers] Polishing??

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2000
      Tom,
      YES. If my latest e-mail to Rob implys otherwise that is not what I
      mean. What I am saying is if you get the basics right first the rest will
      follow so lets not get the cart before the horse. Sure a cricket bat or
      softball bat will kill a fly or a mosquito if its annoying you but why use
      one when a fly swat will do admirably and is the right tool for the job. The
      problem is a lot of people are using the wrong tool for the job. A pot still
      is designed to carry the congeners with the distillate and provide the
      flavour. Sure if you want to make conventional spirits like whisky, bourbon,
      etc using grains and replicating what the existing commercial distillers do
      on a smaller scale go ahead but be warned that iswere the real skill and
      requirements lie (A bit like drinking the water from the Ganges just below
      Benares at present in my opinion). What a true reflux still does is provide
      pure ethanol without the congeners and contaminants which is then
      flavoured. This is what most of us are doing at this stage and I therefore
      maintain a true reflux is better suited for the purpose. None of us produce
      perfect alcohol (even if we think so) and carbon is therefore needed. (A bit
      akin to filtering water but having a filter with a few holes in it). Even
      the commercial distillers who know what they are doing use activated carbon
      for polishing the spirits and to eliminate problems that occur in the
      process or slip through the net. Hopes this helps and clarifies the matter.
      B.r., David Reid