RE: [Distillers] First run part two

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
      Neil,

      Great photos of your setup. Sure is a tall one !

      > Total output was giving 250ml per min, I ran the system to the end at
      > 25ml per minute,
      > How do the figures mentioned above, in relation to still output and
      > alcohol recovered, compare with theoretical results? IE how good is
      > the system

      Well, 96% is as good as anyone can get - great result. At 250 mL/min with
      6kW thats about a reflux ratio of 2 (eg you return 2mL for every 1mL you
      keep). Thats fantastic - most people need RR=4 or more, and many run at
      RR=10. Your advantage is the use of the 2m column - letting you keep the
      high purity, but take it off at such a quick rate. At the end, 25mL/min is
      RR=20, which for mortal (eg < 2kW) stills, is too slow to consider. But
      your huge heat input handles it well, letting you stretch it right out to
      the end.

      Great to see that 67mm diameter handles the 6kW well - its the same ratio
      that I used : 1800W/1.5", scaled up. Good to know that that rule-of-thumb
      works.

      cheers

      Tony
      http://homedistiller.org
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
        > possible misunderstanding Tony
        >
        > The total output of the still with valve fully open is 250ml per min,
        > and i ran the system all the way through at an output of 25ml per
        > min. Once i set the valve i left it through out at the same setting.

        Ahh ... thats why it took 11 hours.

        > What i was wondering was if 250ml/min total output was too low for a
        > 6kW input. The reason i ask is that i think I get some loses of
        > distilate as it drops out of the 'funnel' below the cooling coil and
        > into the collecting cup inside the still head. I may need to lower
        > the initial 'funnel ' lower into the collecting cup.

        I have a wee calculator at http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#use_fract which
        does the maths.
        For 6kW at 96% you'd be expecting more like 490 mL/min. I wonder if
        you're losing a lot to the uninsulated walls of the column - condensing on
        them before it gets all the way up. See if things change by insulating the
        column.

        Next run, try a bit faster. That height & kW, I'd expect you to be able to
        at least collect at 80-100 mL/min

        > Next advance now i know the sizing works is to build it out of dairy
        > stainless tubing, and a boiler from a jam making factory that I
        > recently acquired.

        Tony