Charcoal filtering

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2002
      Where did the practice originate?
      From Gin & Vodka Association site -
      http://www.ginvodka.org/history/originvodka.html
      "Distillation became the first step in producing vodka, with the
      product being improved by precipitation using isinglas, milk or egg
      white.
      A typical production process was to distil alcohol twice, dilute it
      with milk and distil it again, adding water to bring it to the
      required strength and then flavouring it, prior to a fourth and final
      distillation.
      In the 18th century (1780) a professor in St.Petersburg discovered a
      method of purifying alcohol using charcoal filtration. Felt and river
      sand had already been used for some time in Russia for filtration."

      It is believed that early American whisky distilleries borrowed this
      technique to improve their whisky which originally was not barrel
      aged. It is not something that was practised in Scotland or Ireland
      for whisky. Instead of using birch charcoal, maple charcoal was used.
      Both trees contain sugars in their sap and this would have an effect
      on flavor also.

      Wal
    • George & Linda
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
        If too much charcoal is used, and spirits look very dark is it safe to
        drink??
      • mel stull
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
          use coffee filters

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
            Most likely that dark color is suspended micro particles of the carbon. Even worth is this is something else. Please filter it GOOD. If dark color persists -- re-distil diluting to 50/50.
            In any case I would not drink that.

            George & Linda <georgetinatlanta@...> wrote:
            If too much charcoal is used, and spirits look very dark is it safe to drink??

            _{*L*}_
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
              Drink it the charcoal wont hurt you.It might be a little bitter.Let it settle or filter it if you dont like the color or taste.

              _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:Most likely that dark color is suspended micro particles of the carbon. Even worth is this is something else. Please filter it GOOD. If dark color persists -- re-distil diluting to 50/50.
              In any case I would not drink that.

              George & Linda <georgetinatlanta@...> wrote:
              If too much charcoal is used, and spirits look very dark is it safe to drink??

              _{*L*}_
              http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

              ---------------------------------

            • Andrew Bugal
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                Go to Partyman.se and get his free book on conditioning your charcoal before use. If you do not pre-clean your charcoal, dust will be left in the pores and will be displaced by the spirits being distilled.

                Regards,

                Andy

                George & Linda <georgetinatlanta@...> wrote:
                If too much charcoal is used, and spirits look very dark is it safe to
                drink??

              • rocky_creek1
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
                  What kind of charcoal did you use?

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "George & Linda"
                  <georgetinatlanta@a...> wrote:
                  > If too much charcoal is used, and spirits look very dark is it safe to
                  > drink??
                • Andrew Bugal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
                    As I mentioned to another query along this line - go to partyman.se and download their free book regarding using charcoal. It makes a lot of sense and will probably save you that problem.

                    Sounds like you have not cleaned your charcoal before use and the fine charcoal is still in some of the smaller pores which get displaced by the spirit moving through the charcoal.

                    Andy