Re: [Distillers] potatoes and tomatoes

  • revdistiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4 12:30 PM
      On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:58:55 -0000
      "npaisnel" <npaisnel@...> wrote:

      N> What is the method to use to use potatoes to make a fermentation.
      <<Snip>>
      N> The same question also goes for tomatoes?/

      There is not a lot of sugar available to you when you use tomatoes, so
      unless you have an interest in making some interesting beverages, you
      may not want to use them in your brews. This is not to say things like
      tomato wine is not good, they just don't have a lot of fermentable
      sugars -- which means you'll still have to add a decent amount of sugar
      to get the fermentation going.

      I have a family recipe for Red Tomato Wine that I will list below for
      you in case you want to try modifying it for your needs, or if you would
      just like to try it as a wine.

      Red Tomato Wine

      Makes 1 US gal

      3 1/2 lb Red Tomatoes
      1 cup Raisins
      6 pts Water
      1 1/2 lb Sugar
      2 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
      1/4 tsp Tannin
      1 tsp Nutrient
      1 pkg (around 5 grams) of Wine Yeast (I recommend Lalvin K1-V1116)

      Wash and cut the tomatoes into pieces. Places the pieces into a nylon
      straining bag and mash and squeeze out the tomatoes juice into a primary
      fermenter. With the top tied, place the bag into the primary fermenter.

      Bring the water to a boil and then remove from the heat. When the water
      had cooled a bit (just cool enough to not break glass if using glass as
      a primary fermenter), add it and all of the ingredients -- EXCEPT FOR
      THE YEAST -- to the primary fermenter. Cover the primary fermenter and
      let sit for 24 hours.

      After the 24 hours, follow your yeast instructions on re-hydrating and
      making a starter solution. Then add the yeast starter solution to the
      primary fermenter and cover. Stir the must for 2 to 3 days, pressing the
      tomato pulp to aid in the extraction.

      When the must has reached around 1.040 press the tomato juice from the
      bag and rack the ferment into a secondary fermenter and attach an
      airlock. When the fermentation is over (a reading of 1.000 or lower)
      rack the wine into another secondary fermenter, with an airlock, to
      allow for the wine to clear.

      Sincerely,
      Rev. David M. Cunningham