Re: [Distillers] First run part two

  • Rev. David M. Cunningham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
      On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:08:24 -0000
      "npaisnel" <npaisnel@...> wrote:

      N> Too see the boiler vapour temp and top temp in the head sitting so
      N> stable all day, while producing 96% spirit, and then to watch as the
      N> boiler temp rose up to about 98 deg C followed about 25 mins later by
      N> the top temp rising to 81 deg C and the immediate change in smell and
      N> percentage was simply amazing. That it all works exactly as theory
      N> predicts, and to see it happening so clearly is stunning.

      I am happy to see that it worked very well for you. Some are not as
      lucky to have their stills run as smooth.

      N> Pictures have been posted this morning at
      N>
      N> http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/index.html
      N>
      N> Created using MS Home Publisher 2000, probably the worst and most
      N> cumbersome, slow and utterly crap piece of software I can honestly
      N> say I have come across. I should have gone home got my laptop and
      N> done it on my own machine.

      I tried to view the page today, but the only thing I was greeted with
      was an error from one web browser (Mozilla) stating that there was an
      undefined error on the page. I then opened is up in Netscape (4.75) and
      I was only met with some graphics that look like they should be buttons
      (but they were not) and two pictures of your workshop. The page was a
      mile long with nothing except for what I had noted.

      Sincerely,
      Rev. David M. Cunningham
    • npaisnel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
        If your browser does not like the pages
        onhttp://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone
        get direct pics

        http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/Still00**.jpg

        replace ** with 01 thru 00

        or

        http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/hpw*.jpg

        replace 8 with 1 to 10 or so

        to get direct to the pics without the XS HTML created by Microsoft

        some are relevant, others not

        neil
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
          Neil,

          Great photos of your setup. Sure is a tall one !

          > Total output was giving 250ml per min, I ran the system to the end at
          > 25ml per minute,
          > How do the figures mentioned above, in relation to still output and
          > alcohol recovered, compare with theoretical results? IE how good is
          > the system

          Well, 96% is as good as anyone can get - great result. At 250 mL/min with
          6kW thats about a reflux ratio of 2 (eg you return 2mL for every 1mL you
          keep). Thats fantastic - most people need RR=4 or more, and many run at
          RR=10. Your advantage is the use of the 2m column - letting you keep the
          high purity, but take it off at such a quick rate. At the end, 25mL/min is
          RR=20, which for mortal (eg < 2kW) stills, is too slow to consider. But
          your huge heat input handles it well, letting you stretch it right out to
          the end.

          Great to see that 67mm diameter handles the 6kW well - its the same ratio
          that I used : 1800W/1.5", scaled up. Good to know that that rule-of-thumb
          works.

          cheers

          Tony
          http://homedistiller.org
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
            > possible misunderstanding Tony
            >
            > The total output of the still with valve fully open is 250ml per min,
            > and i ran the system all the way through at an output of 25ml per
            > min. Once i set the valve i left it through out at the same setting.

            Ahh ... thats why it took 11 hours.

            > What i was wondering was if 250ml/min total output was too low for a
            > 6kW input. The reason i ask is that i think I get some loses of
            > distilate as it drops out of the 'funnel' below the cooling coil and
            > into the collecting cup inside the still head. I may need to lower
            > the initial 'funnel ' lower into the collecting cup.

            I have a wee calculator at http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#use_fract which
            does the maths.
            For 6kW at 96% you'd be expecting more like 490 mL/min. I wonder if
            you're losing a lot to the uninsulated walls of the column - condensing on
            them before it gets all the way up. See if things change by insulating the
            column.

            Next run, try a bit faster. That height & kW, I'd expect you to be able to
            at least collect at 80-100 mL/min

            > Next advance now i know the sizing works is to build it out of dairy
            > stainless tubing, and a boiler from a jam making factory that I
            > recently acquired.

            Tony