First run part two

  • npaisnel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
      Well at last I managed to get the boiler sealed up and working, using
      the flour and water dough as a sealant. I ran three runs of
      50 litres each as stripping runs, which got me down to 18 litres of
      65%.

      Only other minor hitch was snapping the glass thermometer, but this
      was soon substituted with the Sykes Pickervant multimeter temp probe.

      After a good clean out did the final run yesterday and to say I am
      impressed with the results and ease of use of the system is an
      understamement. To this 18 litres of wash was added another 20
      litres to allow the elements to be covered, and after 11 hours I had
      produced 9 litres of 96% alcohol.

      Too see the boiler vapour temp and top temp in the head sitting so
      stable all day, while producing 96% spirit, and then to watch as the
      boiler temp rose up to about 98 deg C followed about 25 mins later by
      the top temp rising to 81 deg C and the immediate change in smell and
      percentage was simply amazing. That it all works exactly as theory
      predicts, and to see it happening so clearly is stunning.

      The tower is 2m tall, 67mm diameter copper tube, filled withg approx
      40 Vileda SS scrubbers. Another 3 scrubbers inside cooling coil.
      Cooling coil is 10 meter of quarter inch copper brake pipe. All
      fittings in the head are standard plumbers reducer fittings, 67mm to
      32 mm for the funnel, 54mm to 15mm for the collector, and the
      overflow pipe a piece of 15mm pipe up the inside of the collector.
      Outlet pipe is 6mm copper. All joints silver soldered. Heat input
      is 2 x 3kW elements, one fed via phase angle controller for manual
      power control of one of the elements. Next on the list of things to
      do is to sort out a proper boiler and build the head and tube out of
      the collection of stainless fittings and tubes I have collected

      Total output was giving 250ml per min, I ran the system to the end at
      25ml per minute, not trying any variations in ratio, I'll give that
      a go next time. I have just started another 150litre ferment, so
      I'll play with ratios next time.

      How do the figures mentioned above, in relation to still output and
      alcohol recovered, compare with theoretical results? IE how good is
      the system

      Pictures have been posted this morning at

      http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/index.html

      Created using MS Home Publisher 2000, probably the worst and most
      cumbersome, slow and utterly crap piece of software I can honestly
      say I have come across. I should have gone home got my laptop and
      done it on my own machine.

      Any comments, helpful or other wise gratefully received

      Neil
    • Rev. David M. Cunningham
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
        On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:08:24 -0000
        "npaisnel" <npaisnel@...> wrote:

        N> Too see the boiler vapour temp and top temp in the head sitting so
        N> stable all day, while producing 96% spirit, and then to watch as the
        N> boiler temp rose up to about 98 deg C followed about 25 mins later by
        N> the top temp rising to 81 deg C and the immediate change in smell and
        N> percentage was simply amazing. That it all works exactly as theory
        N> predicts, and to see it happening so clearly is stunning.

        I am happy to see that it worked very well for you. Some are not as
        lucky to have their stills run as smooth.

        N> Pictures have been posted this morning at
        N>
        N> http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/index.html
        N>
        N> Created using MS Home Publisher 2000, probably the worst and most
        N> cumbersome, slow and utterly crap piece of software I can honestly
        N> say I have come across. I should have gone home got my laptop and
        N> done it on my own machine.

        I tried to view the page today, but the only thing I was greeted with
        was an error from one web browser (Mozilla) stating that there was an
        undefined error on the page. I then opened is up in Netscape (4.75) and
        I was only met with some graphics that look like they should be buttons
        (but they were not) and two pictures of your workshop. The page was a
        mile long with nothing except for what I had noted.

        Sincerely,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham
      • npaisnel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
          If your browser does not like the pages
          onhttp://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone
          get direct pics

          http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/Still00**.jpg

          replace ** with 01 thru 00

          or

          http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/nixonstone/hpw*.jpg

          replace 8 with 1 to 10 or so

          to get direct to the pics without the XS HTML created by Microsoft

          some are relevant, others not

          neil
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
            Neil,

            Great photos of your setup. Sure is a tall one !

            > Total output was giving 250ml per min, I ran the system to the end at
            > 25ml per minute,
            > How do the figures mentioned above, in relation to still output and
            > alcohol recovered, compare with theoretical results? IE how good is
            > the system

            Well, 96% is as good as anyone can get - great result. At 250 mL/min with
            6kW thats about a reflux ratio of 2 (eg you return 2mL for every 1mL you
            keep). Thats fantastic - most people need RR=4 or more, and many run at
            RR=10. Your advantage is the use of the 2m column - letting you keep the
            high purity, but take it off at such a quick rate. At the end, 25mL/min is
            RR=20, which for mortal (eg < 2kW) stills, is too slow to consider. But
            your huge heat input handles it well, letting you stretch it right out to
            the end.

            Great to see that 67mm diameter handles the 6kW well - its the same ratio
            that I used : 1800W/1.5", scaled up. Good to know that that rule-of-thumb
            works.

            cheers

            Tony
            http://homedistiller.org
          • Tony & Elle Ackland
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
              > possible misunderstanding Tony
              >
              > The total output of the still with valve fully open is 250ml per min,
              > and i ran the system all the way through at an output of 25ml per
              > min. Once i set the valve i left it through out at the same setting.

              Ahh ... thats why it took 11 hours.

              > What i was wondering was if 250ml/min total output was too low for a
              > 6kW input. The reason i ask is that i think I get some loses of
              > distilate as it drops out of the 'funnel' below the cooling coil and
              > into the collecting cup inside the still head. I may need to lower
              > the initial 'funnel ' lower into the collecting cup.

              I have a wee calculator at http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#use_fract which
              does the maths.
              For 6kW at 96% you'd be expecting more like 490 mL/min. I wonder if
              you're losing a lot to the uninsulated walls of the column - condensing on
              them before it gets all the way up. See if things change by insulating the
              column.

              Next run, try a bit faster. That height & kW, I'd expect you to be able to
              at least collect at 80-100 mL/min

              > Next advance now i know the sizing works is to build it out of dairy
              > stainless tubing, and a boiler from a jam making factory that I
              > recently acquired.

              Tony