Re: Sealant found

  • papa_duke2002
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2002
      --- In Distillers@y..., "B Morey" <bernardmorey@o...> wrote:
      > From: "npaisnel" <npaisnel@i...>
      >
      > > I do not have my ideal boiler sorted yet and am still using and
      old
      > one with a less than perfect fitting lid that needs sealing every
      use
      > with a flour and water dough. I have not found a sealant that I know
      > will be alcohol/food safe, any one any idea if there is a
      > commercially available silicon type sealant suitable for our type of
      > use??<
      >
      > I'm going to try acetic-cure silicone sealant -- tube says good to
      150
      > degrees and safe for aquariums. As it doesn't take much to kill
      goldfish it
      > should be OK for distilling. Cost = AUD$5 a tube.

      I found a High temperature Silicone sealand thats good for 300 C
      which is food grade and chemical tolerent. Its made by Dow Corning
      and is called Plumba Flue. It's sold for sealing flues on old aga
      cookers and the chemical data sheet says it is saafe to digest and
      non toxic. I got it mail order from www1.rswww.com for around £5.50.

      It takes a while to cure but is ace stuff.

      Hope this helps,

      Peter.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
        wooohoo my 1st ?... is there a sealant like plumbing goop or something
        thats safe to be in the vapor path? am working on my own design and i
        have one part thats hard to solder i got 99% of it sealed off but got
        one bloody leak and sure as sh..err poop haha i know if i try to solder
        that one little spot its going to undo a diff spot be nice if i could
        just glop on a little sealent to plug it up without undoing the rest of
        it...the part is on the inside so if i can't use a sealant i can live
        with it... i was a welder for 20 yrs but this low temp stuff is a diff
        critter ...(glues hair back on that i have pulled out haha)

        thanks tons
        mike aka wizard and or highlander ;)
      • george papanikolaou
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
          try an epoxy resin/2 components/some call it chemical steel.endures 180 celsius

          Michael <outsider1958@...> wrote:wooohoo my 1st ?... is there a sealant like plumbing goop or something
          thats safe to be in the vapor path? am working on my own design and i
          have one part thats hard to solder i got 99% of it sealed off but got
          one bloody leak and sure as sh..err poop haha i know if i try to solder
          that one little spot its going to undo a diff spot be nice if i could
          just glop on a little sealent to plug it up without undoing the rest of
          it...the part is on the inside so if i can't use a sealant i can live
          with it... i was a welder for 20 yrs but this low temp stuff is a diff
          critter ...(glues hair back on that i have pulled out haha)

          thanks tons
          mike aka wizard and or highlander ;)

          Management team Food and drink Organizational culture Culture

          ---------------------------------

        • jfpottery
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <outsider1958@h...>
            wrote:
            > wooohoo my 1st ?... is there a sealant like plumbing goop or
            something
            > thats safe to be in the vapor path? am working on my own design and
            > have one part thats hard to solder i got 99% of it sealed off but
            got
            > one bloody leak and sure as sh..err poop haha i know if i try to
            solder
            > that one little spot its going to undo a diff spot be nice if i
            could
            > just glop on a little sealent to plug it up without undoing the
            rest of
            > it...the part is on the inside so if i can't use a sealant i can
            live
            > with it... i was a welder for 20 yrs but this low temp stuff is a
            diff
            > critter ...(glues hair back on that i have pulled out haha)
            >
            > thanks tons
            > Imike aka wizard and or highlander ;)
            I tried epoxy on the outside of my
            stainless keg and it didn't work. It was a frustrating day but I
            finally got the leak silver soldered. I'm no expert but I wouldn't put
            anything like it in the vapor side. It's like Curly of the 3 stooges
            said:" It's like eating grape fruit. If at first you don't succeed,
            keep on suckin till you do succeed."
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
              > I tried epoxy on the outside of my
              > stainless keg and it didn't work. It was a frustrating day but I
              > finally got the leak silver soldered. I'm no expert but I wouldn't put
              > anything like it in the vapor side. It's like Curly of the 3 stooges
              > said:" It's like eating grape fruit. If at first you don't succeed,
              > keep on suckin till you do succeed."

              yeah thats why i wanted to ask don't want to make something thats going
              to be nasty haha ..like i siad if i can't use something no real big
              deal i can live with it...mine is copper now if it was SS i could just
              get some SS rods and fire up my welder and weld it all around... took
              me allmost an hr to get it to just that one little spot and not 2 or 3
              little spots i get one side pluged and 2 would reopen hahah

              agian thanks tons :)

              Wizard
            • mel stull
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                re clean and hit it with hot heat then use the 99%
                after u remove the heat

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
              • David W Lunsford
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                  go to the auto parts store and buy some 100% silicon gasket
                  material...maxtonnage

                  At 06:06 AM 7/9/05 -0000, you wrote:
                  >wooohoo my 1st ?... is there a sealant like plumbing goop or something
                  >thats safe to be in the vapor path? am working on my own design and i
                  >have one part thats hard to solder i got 99% of it sealed off but got
                  >one bloody leak and sure as sh..err poop haha i know if i try to solder
                  >that one little spot its going to undo a diff spot be nice if i could
                  >just glop on a little sealent to plug it up without undoing the rest of
                  >it...the part is on the inside so if i can't use a sealant i can live
                  >with it... i was a welder for 20 yrs but this low temp stuff is a diff
                  >critter ...(glues hair back on that i have pulled out haha)
                  >
                  >thanks tons
                  >mike aka wizard and or highlander ;)

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                    I would apply this compnent only to the parts outside of the path of hot alcohol vapors.

                    george papanikolaou <qwine2000@...> wrote:try an epoxy resin/2 components/some call it chemical steel.endures 180 celsius

                    Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                  • drobkin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                      I use two differt sealants on copper. The first is temporary, only for
                      running sessions and temp. leaks: flour and water. Make a paste, a
                      little runnier than dough- something between 30WT and silly Putty. It
                      is totally safe and heat resistant- although it can be a bear to clean
                      of sometimes.

                      The second is Aquarium Silicone. Do not use other types of caulk or
                      gasket sealants- they may contain nasties that will dissolve. DOW makes
                      a nice big tube of the stuff. If you can pinpoint the leak, you can
                      apple the silicone to the outside and try to force a bit into the hole.
                      If not, the best bet is to put some on the inside. I have some in my
                      boiling pot and it is very stable in the vapors
                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drobkin" <drobkin@y...> wrote:
                        > I use two differt sealants on copper. The first is temporary, only
                        for
                        > running sessions and temp. leaks: flour and water. Make a paste, a
                        > little runnier than dough- something between 30WT and silly Putty. It
                        > is totally safe and heat resistant- although it can be a bear to
                        clean
                        > of sometimes.
                        >
                        > The second is Aquarium Silicone. Do not use other types of caulk or
                        > gasket sealants- they may contain nasties that will dissolve. DOW
                        makes
                        > a nice big tube of the stuff. If you can pinpoint the leak, you can
                        > apple the silicone to the outside and try to force a bit into the
                        hole.
                        > If not, the best bet is to put some on the inside. I have some in my
                        > boiling pot and it is very stable in the vapors

                        i made it back been fighting this comp ....i may just pull it and go
                        with design #2 on that part i think i can get a tighter fit...i do use
                        the the flour and water the seal off my kettle on my mini still stuff
                        works good for that haha fun part about makeing your own design is
                        working out the opps haha but still good to know about a sealant we can
                        use atleast on the outside i will be needing that when testing it out
                        before i solder it all up maybe one of the chem heads here will come up
                        with a vapor goop someday :P..its going to be somethime before i can
                        get some of the other parts so i have lots of time to jack with it...
                        you guys/gals rock here man i have learned alot from all of you i don't
                        drink myself but i love doing this sure have made my frinds happy they
                        went nuts over my strawberry brandy :)and agian thanks tons

                        Wizard
                      • donald holcombe
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                          Try Rye flour its not as messy as white flour.