Filtration dilemas

  • wromgbutton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      Dilemas may be an overstatement....I have 2 queries...
      Am in the middle of building a filtration unit and 2 thoughts occur to
      me.
      I have been buying pulverised activated charcoal to soak my spirit in.
      Is it necessary to use expensive pulverised stuff at $7 for 50gms or
      can I use ordinary $10 a litre upulverised? I have a ball mill with
      which I can pulverise it. I tried a large mortar and pestle to grind
      it but I was amazed at how hard the carbon was. Gave up after an hour.
      Secondly, I am wondering if there is any advantage to gravity
      filtering from the bottom up with my filtration tube like the
      industrial types. I can see some advantages like... no trapped air and
      that you could leave it without worrying about it running out of
      liquid and needing to start again as it would simply stay wetted until
      you added more liquid. Can anyone see any disadvantages.
      I thank you Ed
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
        Wrong Button Ed ,

        > Is it necessary to use expensive pulverised stuff at $7 for 50gms or
        > can I use ordinary $10 a litre upulverised?

        It depends is the expensive stuff is "activated carbon" and the cheaper
        stuff isn't. Activated means that it has more pores (holes) within the
        structure, and that it will do a heaps better job of cleaning the spirit.
        If they're both the same, then go for the cheaper stuff. If pulverising
        it yourself, just turn it into wee bits, not fine dust, or else you'll have
        a fun job trying to filter it all out and not end up with a grey vodka.

        > Secondly, I am wondering if there is any advantage to gravity
        > filtering from the bottom up with my filtration tube like the
        > industrial types.

        Yep - many swear by it, for the reasons you outlined.

        Tony