RE: Purity and smell

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2000

      -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
      Van: DAVID REID [mailto:nzag@...]
      Verzonden: dinsdag 11 april 2000 1:34
      Aan: r.vanleuven@...
      CC: Distillers@onelist.com; DAVID REID
      Onderwerp: Purity and smell

      Rob,

             Most of the smell probably comes from the first distillation when yeast cells that were present with the fermented wort were ruptured during the distilling and because the packing was inferior or insufficient and reflux was also insufficient they were carried with the vapour.

      [One of the reasons why I am not very impressed with a lot of the stills available and why I make the comment and continue to make the statement that some of the designers didnt even understand some of the basics. That said just as a first rate first grade mechanic will only use a crescent (shifting spanner) as an absolute last resort because it rounds and damages the nuts eventually ruining the machine and shouldnt be used in the first place the best thing for people in the same situation as you is to do as you have just done and go ahead make these small  changes and improvements with the result that they will be a lot happier and the results will be a great improvement.OK thats my tirade for the moment].

      Unfortunately when this happens it is almost impossible to get rid of it totally and carbon treatment is generally called for. Try redistilling as previously suggested, see what it comes up like, and then decide.

      This brings up another point which may cause a bit of disagreement but another on which I believe my point of view is correct. That is namely that Carbon Treatment should not be our first and virtually sole means of attacking the inherent problems caused by inferior fermentation, inferior distilling, and generally inferior manufacture of spirit.  As such carbon treatment is intended to polish and remove impurities rather than treat  virtually all the spirit produced  because we are too lazy too learn how it should be done and some of us cant even be bothered picking up a book. I dont pretend to know it all and believe I never shall but am well aware that a good still and good distillation practice can prevent a lot of the inherent problems that I see happening and are being reported by members of this ng on a regular basis.

      By this I am not getting at you Rob. I am pleased to help and see that you are advancing quickly. Hope this helps a little. Let us know how you get on.

      B.r.,  David

      David,

      Thanks for your advice, I have a feeling I’m learning rapidly and in time I’ll be able to distill a (almost) perfect spirit. This is what it’s all about as far as I’m concerned; ofcourse I enjoy drinking my homemade wine, beer and spirit together with friends and relatives, but a lot of the fun is also in the sense of achievement when you’ve been able to improve your skills.

      Regards,

      Rob