Fwd: Sugar content

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2002
      Tim,
      You do not say whether you crushed the grapes first which is the
      usual practice to get the juice out, likewise this is usual for
      apples, but not for soft plums. The whole grape berries might still
      be fermenting inside the skin!
      I made wine (in partnership) out of 24 Brix shiraz grapes (that's
      about max. sugar content) which were crushed first. You need a proper
      wine yeast also as wild yeasts are unreliable. We made grappa by
      adding water and sugar to the pressed out grape pomace and
      refermenting for another week, with no problems.

      Wal
      --- In Distillers@y..., "Tim Kovac" <castrumnovum@h...> wrote:
      Is too much sugar a problem???

      Hi, I have been following this site for a while, just to learn before
      start myself. In the old country distilling is common, lots of
      self-made
      experts do it. Fruit is picked, fermented and distilled without any
      science.
      Everybody is an expert... :-)
      Here I picked over-ripe grapes, full of sugar, the juice was like
      honey!
      Someone has fermented and distilled it for me. The product was
      excellen,
      however the final quantity was small. When the wash was poured out I
      noticed
      individual grapes almost untouched by fermentation.
      What went wrong?
      Regards,
      Tim

      --- End forwarded message ---