unsubscribe

  • pfitzner@austarnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 30 , May 31, 2002
      Please unsubscribe me for the News Group

      Thanx
    • Boulder Books and Brews
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 18, 2002

        Thanks

      • ed montforts
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 30, 2002
          please unsubscribe from digest. I chose to receive e-mails.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 26, 2002
            HI COULD YOU PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME
            THANKS

            From: BOKAKOB <bokakob@...>
            2. Turbogist in Nederland ( Dutch info)
            From: "lapsnuit" <lapsnuit@...>
            3. still spirits still
            From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
            4. wonder if you could make that kettle into a still
            From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
            5. Re: Questions about Gin
            From: "Michael" <god@...>
            6. Re: Seal Material
            From: "Tim Kovac" <castrumnovum@...>
            7. Re: still spirits still
            From: "Michael" <god@...>
            8. Fwd: still spirits still
            From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
            9. reflux still origins
            From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
            10. Re: Re: Questions about Gin
            From: "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@...>

            Message: 1
            Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
            From: BOKAKOB <bokakob@...>
            Subject: Re: Seal Material

            Hi, ogzo46!
            The temperature for "O"-rings is not a problem at all. The heat should not
            rise over 100 or so degrees Centigrade. I don't thnk it will affect the
            process. The chemical composition should be fine too. If in doubt, I would
            seal the exposed to the alcohol path area with aquarium grade clear silicone
            caulking. However, try first. Perhaps it will not leach any chemicals. I
            think a good test would be to soak these "O"-rings or whatever you are going
            to use separately in various solvent solutions. If it stays intact there is
            a good probability it is fine.
            ogzo46 wrote:Hi Guys,
            You can't get more newby than me, I have been drinking Malt
            whisky for about 15 years and have decided to try and fake a
            reasonable whisky, I know it's a lot harder to make the real thing!!
            I'm a welder by trade so stainless is not a problem,I'm going to use
            fittings and pipe from surplus winery work,but the 'O' rings have me
            worried, can they take the heat and are they OK for alcohol? I have
            seen them used at TARAC distillery in the Barossa.
            Regards Eric

            [This message contained attachments]

            Message: 2
            Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:48:05 -0000
            From: "lapsnuit" <lapsnuit@...>
            Subject: Turbogist in Nederland ( Dutch info)

            Vanaf heden leverbaar uit voorraad de nieuwe 24 uurs gist van
            Alcotec. Kijk op www.turbogist.nl

            Ook voor ander gisten en essences.

            This is a informational message for dutch speaking people.
            It is about turbo yeast availability in the Netherlands.

            Sorry for the Dutch language.

            Message: 3
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:07:56 +0930
            From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
            Subject: still spirits still

            Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits stills? I
            saw one once have been unable to find it again.

            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:12:21 +0930
            From: "spiritual" <warranty@...>
            Subject: wonder if you could make that kettle into a still

            [This message is not in displayable format]

            Message: 5
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:39:21 -0000
            From: "Michael" <god@...>
            Subject: Re: Questions about Gin

            --- In Distillers@y..., "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@h...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I tried some experimenting last night with distilled water and
            > liquid lecithin as was recommended.
            >
            > First experiment: I made up a 750 ml bottle with gin and I used
            > distilled water. The gin only had a slight cloudiness to it.
            > More like a bluish tint with a slight haze. Heading in the right
            > direction.
            >
            > Second experiment: Once that bottle was done, I tried the liquid
            > Lecithin as recommended from the newsgroup. The gin became even
            > more cloudier than the bottles that I done before. Experiment
            > failed in my mind.
            >
            > Other suggestions or solutions?
            >
            > Joe

            Hmm, don't know why that didn't work (scratches head). Maybe its
            because you need to increase solubility into alcohol, not into water.

            Another suggestion is that oils dissolve more readily into an
            alkaline solution than an acidic solution. Maybe add a little bi-
            carb to reduce acidity? You have to remember that you can only
            increase the solubility slightly, so if you have way too much oil in
            suspension, nothing will help.

            Salts and trace minerals can also aid in dissolution of oil. Have
            you tried using tap water instead of distilled?

            Message: 6
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:11:23 +1000
            From: "Tim Kovac" <castrumnovum@...>

            The name of "O" ring material is "Viton" but and the name could be different
            in each country
            Any "o" ring supplier or Hydraulic Cylinder catalog lists different
            materials for different applications.
            Choose "high tempereture" "high pressure" and "mineral oil resistant"
            material and it will outlast your still.
            Regards,
            Tim

            >From: "ogzo46" <ericoz@...>
            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Distillers] Seal Material
            >Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:49:26 -0000
            >
            >Hi Guys,
            > You can't get more newby than me, I have been drinking Malt
            >whisky for about 15 years and have decided to try and fake a
            >reasonable whisky, I know it's a lot harder to make the real thing!!
            >I'm a welder by trade so stainless is not a problem,I'm going to use
            >fittings and pipe from surplus winery work,but the 'O' rings have me
            >worried, can they take the heat and are they OK for alcohol? I have
            >seen them used at TARAC distillery in the Barossa.
            > Regards Eric

            Message: 7
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:18:41 -0000
            From: "Michael" <god@...>
            Subject: Re: still spirits still

            --- In Distillers@y..., "spiritual" <warranty@p...> wrote:
            > Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits
            stills? I saw one once have been unable to find it again.

            Do you mean a reflux or a pot still?

            I have a still spirits reflux still. My first mod to it was to
            seperate the water supplies to the cooling jacket and the condenser.
            Eventually I found that the cooling jacket is not necessary. The
            still works just as well without it IMHO. The best mod to make to
            this still is to extend the column. What I have done is to get
            myself a metre of 2" copper pipe. To this I have added a copper cap
            end to each end. I have drilled a hole in each cap, and tapped a
            1/2" BSP thread. I bought a 1/2" nipple, and two lock-nuts to suit.
            One lock nut I use down the bottom to attach to the boiler, the other
            to lock the nipple into the cap at the top. The nipple at the top
            will screw into the original head.

            You can go further and turn this into a Nixon-Stone style still, but
            I haven't got to that yet.

            Here is a link to the plans of what I have done.

            Mike G

            Message: 8
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:46:19 -0000
            From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
            Subject: Fwd: still spirits still

            Msg 5937 gives an example, together with previous suggestions.

            Wal
            --- In Distillers@y..., "spiritual" <warranty@p...> wrote:
            Does any one have info/pics on various mods to the still spirits
            stills? I saw one once have been unable to find it again.
            --- End forwarded message ---

            Message: 9
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:14:39 -0000
            From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
            Subject: reflux still origins

            Possibly the origin of the reflux column still goes back to the 15th
            century. In 'De arte conficiendi aquam vitae simplicem et
            compositam', written by Michele Savonarola (1384-1462), a professor
            at the University of Padua, he gives a description of the still and
            suggests that the column should be as tall as possible, because the
            further alcoholic vapors are made to travel, the more impurities they
            lose. See cross section of still:
            http://cipriani.com/cipriani/Grappa/distillazionee.htm

            Also see 'The Begginnings'
            http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_beginning.htm
            'Distillation'
            http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_distillation.htm
            and Fig 7 in 'Production'
            http://www.polishvodkas.com/history-vodka/fr_production.htm

            Also useful is 'Distillation in Alambic' at the 'Essential Spirits
            Alambic Distilleries' site:
            http://www.essentialspirits.com
            Click on 'History of Distilling'

            Wal
            The modern improvements are the restriction of reflux cooling to only
            the top of the column (still not by everyone!), and the use of plates
            or packing in the column.

            Message: 10
            Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:42:10 -0300
            From: "Joe Pagan" <joe_pagan@...>
            Subject: Re: Re: Questions about Gin

            I haven't tried our tap water yet because is has a sulfur smell to it. The
            first batch I made I used spring water which turned the gin cloudier than
            the distilled water.

            I'll try some bicarb to see if those results are any better. Some one also
            recommended super clear, used for clearing wines. Would that work?

            I'll take everyones suggestions and experiment with each. I noticed when
            the alcohol content was around 50%ABV the gin started to turn cloudy. If I
            leave the ABV higher than 50% the gin remained clear.

            Thanks again.

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2, 2002
              please unsubscribe from digest.
            • Zeke Jones
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2002

                I'll do my best but am making NO promises!!   :>)

                >From: ed montforts
                >To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com"
                >Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:14:05 +0200
                >
                >please unsubscribe from digest.

              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 5, 2002

                  Now Zeke your not taking the piss out of poor old Ed are you?

                  Have a great day!

                  Robert