Oak & herbs - how much?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      Oak:
      The recomendation based on info. from winemaking and homebrewing
      sites is 1-5 grams of oak chips or shavings/litre of liquid (alcohol
      or mash/must). An oak essence is available in the U.S. and the
      recommendation is 6-12 grams/litre. (1 oz =30 g, 20 l = 5 US gals).
      Ray Toms (http://moonshine.co.nz/may97.html) in a newsletter suggests
      3 tsp plain oak chips and 1 tsp toasted oak chips/litre of alcohol.

      Herbs & spices:
      The recommendation is 50-100 g/l of spirit.
      A 20 l wash of about 12%abv would produce about 5 litres of 50%abv.
      So we could add to this wash 250-500 g of herbs and spices to flavor
      our alcohol. For example, if we wanted to produce an aniseed flavored
      Raki, we can add 250-500 g of crushed aniseed to the wash. 500 g of
      crushed aniseed should give the equivalent of 1 tsp of aniseed
      essential oil / litre of alcohol at 50%bv. Another way is to soak in
      alcohol for 24 hours and redistill.

      Wal