Home alcohol sweetness

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 11:43 PM
      Peter,
               Was giving your problem with the sweetness of home alcohol a bit more thought and another angle is worth a bit more thought and investigation. While there is is not much published in regard to problems like this (at laeast if so I havnt seen or heard of it) with regards to spirits alcohol there is a lot of published data with regard to beer fermentation and the resultant products produced which is almost identical. It comes under what is called attenuation and is the main reason certain specific yeasts are used to produce specific beers.
      Attenuation refers to the % of sugar converted to alcohol and is normally between 67 - 77% (Higher with actual sugar). This is determined by the composition of the wort (in your case actual sugars used) and the yeast strain used. In simple terms each yeast strain ferments different sugars to varying degrees resulting in higher or lower final gravities which affect the residual sweetnesss and body.
      What is the actual yeast strain you are using, what is the finished s.g. of the wort prior to distillation, and what is the distilled %?
      By playing around a bit with both the sugar/s composition and the yeast/s used it should be relatively to change this character aspect. By being precise and keeping good records you should after a while get to the stage where the results are repeatable and the taste more along the lines you like and desire.
      Also see latest e-mail to Rob titled Purity and smell as I am sure this has some bearing here as well. Peter I hope this helps a little more. Let us know how you get on.
      B.r.,  David