90%!

  • David Pickles
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2000

      Had a nice Holiday in Taupo, I called in to see the boys at "Moonshine", best thing I ever did, they gave much valuable information re spirit ageing & reflux column packaging.

      On arriving home, armed with this info’ I packed the column of my 20lt "Still Spirits" unit with SS lathe shavings at the top followed by a pile of SS pot scrubbers till the 350*75mm column was full.

      Observations:- I collected 90% --- 10% more than normal --- I was delighted.

      The distillate was not as odorous, the temp’ remained at 78C with just a trickle going through the reflux coil.

      Wanting to make it even more efficient, I got a friend of mine to silver solder an extra length of tubing, making the total length to 815mm. At this point I added an extra 8 SS pot scrubbers.

      Results:- No increase in distillate %. I had to regulate water flow through the reflux coil, as the temp wood clime to 82.5C.

      Rather disappointing, can anybody PLEASE tell me where I have gone wrong?

      Regards,
      Dave Pickles.
      Email :   david-pickles@...