Re: [Distillers] New guy on the block!

  • Aaron Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      Hi Mike,
      I too suffer from the same yeastie smelling distillate,
      I can remove it 100% ( or at least it doesn't smell) with carbon filtering
      I cut the alcohol down to 40% and then carbon treat it for a week or two,
      filtering it is easy, you can use coffee filter paper or lately I have been
      using cotton wool
      balls , this works fantastic, just make sure that you use pure cotton as
      when you run your 40% alc
      throught the filter you don't want the alc picking up bad stuff.

      this will test your metric.
      out of a 25 litre fermenter with 8 kilograms of sugar in it, using turbo
      extra yeast( a fine NZ product)
      I get roughly 8 to 9 litres of 40% alcohol(after I cut it down)
      usually about 3 and a bit litres at 95% before I cut it

      also, what percentage are you getting from your still, not that this should
      matter too much

      not sure what you mean by one and a half bottles
      ie whats that in litres or equiv.

      enc is a program that helps convert metric to not metric!!
      its good and helps me understand the american folk,
      hopefully it helps you understand expat kiwi's
      it is also found at
      http://go.to/distil
      under theory and research

      cheers