The return of Old Tom gin via @TelegraphLuxury

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
      Hi,

      I thought you'd like this:
      http://fw.to/ilQo3Tl

      The return of Old Tom gin via @TelegraphLuxury
      Once the preserve of 18th-century London slums, Old Tom gin is experiencing a renaissance in the smartest bars of the capital

      To unsubscribe click here.

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
        From what I read they never made cuts and only used the fruit and berries to cover up the horrible taste of this moonshine.  At L49.95 can anyone really compare Old Tom to hooch of the 1800's?

        Robert

        Once the preserve of 18th-century London slums, Old Tom gin is experiencing a renaissance in the smartest bars of the capital

        To unsubscribe click here.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
          "you get a bit of diesel on the nose"??!!

          I can't wait.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:47:10 -0400

          Hi,

          I thought you'd like this:
          http://fw.to/ilQo3Tl

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
            I have only come across actual 1860 recipes for London gins (see my Cordial Waters, p94-96).
            Normally 1-4g liquorice powder /4l alc. is used, but for the Fine Gin recipe, up to 40g/4l can be added - "80 to 90 lbs.of liquorice powder are occasionally added, to impart color and sweetness." (Chemistry....,Muspratt J S, 1860)
            A 1830 source (Clarke's Complete Cellarman) has a Cordial Gin recipe with 25g/l of sugar. The ingredients include turpentine oil, sulphuric acid, almonds, juniper berries and elder-flower water and sugar - this is not redistilled but is a cold compounding recipe like U.S. Bath Tub gins -
            http://tinyurl.com/odxwzvq
            Give it a go?

            wal
          • RLB
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
              Wow!  I would shoot myself before adding all of that to anything I would drink.

              Robert

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2014

                On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:46 AM, RLB last2blast@... [Distillers] <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Wow!  I would shoot myself before adding all of that to anything I would drink.

                Something like "block and tackle" whiskey?

                Chuckling!!

                Dee