Anyone else get a letter from the TTB?

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20, 2014
      i got a envelope with 2 letters in it.  one "Notice of potential civil and criminal liability" and the other, an article about moonshine raids in florida.
    • mm123@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2014

        Bleeding heck! That ain't good

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21, 2014

          Dang Bill! I'd assume its a scare letter and that they wouldn't be sending letters to folks they actually planned on investigating, BUT I'd take it seriously enough to clean house and move all booze and stills off premises for a while.  At the very least I'd dumpster enough bottles from a bar to keep some stock in seemingly legitimate bottles instead of mason jars.

          I'd also suggest preparing mentally for a "knock and talk" which is probably the next escalation from a scare letter. Prepare any other adults you live with as well, supreme court recently ruled LEOs can persue search consent from any adult on site even if they have already been denied by another resident. I'd always deny permission to search no matter what, if they have the right they will search anyway but you have at least one more thing for a defense Atty to work with.

          Any ideas what brought it about?

          I'd (wild) guess you bought a commercial still and the vendor was forced to share their customer list?

          Scary occurrence to be sure, hope it all blows over for you.

        • JVB
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2014
            Who was the letter from?  Was it on any sort of letterhead?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 23, 2014
              yes, it was on formal letterhead.  it's definitely legit.

              On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM, JVB jamesvbarb@... [Distillers] <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Who was the letter from?  Was it on any sort of letterhead?

              On Jun 20, 2014, at 7:00 PM, "Bill Rogers bill.rogers@... [Distillers]" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              i got a envelope with 2 letters in it.  one "Notice of potential civil and criminal liability" and the other, an article about moonshine raids in florida.

            • Eddie Hoskin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 23, 2014
                Forum chatter makes it look like everyone who's purchased a still from a retailer should expect a letter like this; TTB scare tactics to frighten folks into not using their still for spirits.

                Certainly looks like it's not targeting you or anyone else specifically; just a snail mail blast to registered owners.

                Radical Ed

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 23, 2014
                  has anyone posted a copy of these letters. Who sent and signed and addresses to?  Just wondering

                  On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:17 AM, "Bill Rogers bill.rogers@... [Distillers]" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  i got a envelope with 2 letters in it.  one "Notice of potential civil and criminal liability" and the other, an article about moonshine raids in florida.

                • Zapata Vive
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2014
                    bill, will you confirm if you have purchased a commercial still?  And if so, how recently?
                    Thanks,

                    On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Chuck mcr2207@... [Distillers] <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    has anyone posted a copy of these letters. Who sent and signed and addresses to?  Just wondering

                    On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:17 AM, "Bill Rogers bill.rogers@... [Distillers]" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    i got a envelope with 2 letters in it.  one "Notice of potential civil and criminal liability" and the other, an article about moonshine raids in florida.

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 16 7:55 AM
                      This is a little off track, but the idea is the same idea.

                      A person was interested in me making malted corn for them, and they gave me a link to their sale pages.  This guy was using the words moonshine in his ads to sell his malts.

                      If you are going to sell moonshine (distilling or fermenting) related products on the internet, DO NOT use the words "MOONSHINE" in your ads because you are painting a target on you back, and the TTB could look at your actions as a conspiracy to commit a crime.  I personally use the words "BEER AND SPIRITS" or even "WATER DISTILLATION".  In that way you can say, "Officer, I had no idea that they were using my products for illegal activity."  It's better to cover your butt than to take an even greater risk of gaining their attention.

                      Robert