RE: [Distillers] New guy on the block!

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 6:42 PM
      Mike - welcome,

      Did you let the yeast settle in the fermentor, before transfering the wash
      into the still ? This normally takes 1-2 days, and then you need to do the
      transfer carefully, so as to not transfer the yeast over. Some people use a
      syphon; I do my fermentation in a plastic barrel that has the tap fitted
      with as a wee dodacky on the inside of it, so that it only sucks upward out
      of the barrel (and thus doesn't disturb the yeast under it it. Its a 50c
      beastie thats worth $$. You don't want the yeast in the still because the
      heat will cause the yeast cells to burst and release off-smells.

      Too much sugar ? It depends on the yeast. The regular yeasts can only
      handle about 0.2-0.225 kg/L of sugar (eg 4.5 kg per 20L). Don't go more
      than this unless using "Turbo" or other superyeasts with high alcohol
      tolerance.

      How big are the bottles ? You should expect about 2.4L of 80% alcohol from
      4.5 kg of sugar.

      See http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/wash.htm for the calculations of
      how much sugar to use, and how much alcohol to expect.

      The beauty of distilling is also that you never really have to through
      anything away. If you can't clean the spirit enough to your satisfaction,
      just redistill it a second time. Mix it 50/50 with clean water, make sure
      you have enough to cover the element in the still, and let it go a second
      time. Cleans it up nicely. I just did such a tidy-up this last weekend -
      all the failed attempts at different flavours, botched experiments etc. Got
      back 2L of clean spirit to play with again. Many people also do this with
      the "tails" from their runs - the low % alcohol that may contain some
      fusels.

      Tony
    • Aaron Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 5:22 PM
        Hi Mike,
        I too suffer from the same yeastie smelling distillate,
        I can remove it 100% ( or at least it doesn't smell) with carbon filtering
        I cut the alcohol down to 40% and then carbon treat it for a week or two,
        filtering it is easy, you can use coffee filter paper or lately I have been
        using cotton wool
        balls , this works fantastic, just make sure that you use pure cotton as
        when you run your 40% alc
        throught the filter you don't want the alc picking up bad stuff.

        this will test your metric.
        out of a 25 litre fermenter with 8 kilograms of sugar in it, using turbo
        extra yeast( a fine NZ product)
        I get roughly 8 to 9 litres of 40% alcohol(after I cut it down)
        usually about 3 and a bit litres at 95% before I cut it

        also, what percentage are you getting from your still, not that this should
        matter too much

        not sure what you mean by one and a half bottles
        ie whats that in litres or equiv.

        enc is a program that helps convert metric to not metric!!
        its good and helps me understand the american folk,
        hopefully it helps you understand expat kiwi's
        it is also found at
        http://go.to/distil
        under theory and research

        cheers