Difference between Alcohols

  • abbas7e
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2014

      Hi,

      first of all I am sorry for my English, I know its really bad,

      my question is

       " why we need to make alcohol with barley, corn, wheat etc instead of all this mess we can make alcohol with normal table sugar, is there any difference of taste or health matter or what, why we need to go for this long process of alcohol making by grains"

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2014
        You don't have to use grain etc. That is the material of choice for many.

        I make mainly "sugar wash". 6kg table sugar and 21 litres of water, wine yeast and nutrients ferments in 7 days.

        I like to use wine finings to clear it quickly, but most of the yeast has dropped out after another week.

        I use a reflux still, which gives me 94% ABV spirit, but being picky I then let it down to 40 to 50 % with reverse osmosis water, de-ionised water or even distilled water (whichever is cheapest), then re-distill.

        Don't know if the second distilling makes much difference (convinced myself it does - others will likely disagree).

        That gets reduced again to 40% ABV as above and then it all gets filtered through activated  charcoal.

        I end up with a good neutral spirit which I either drink as vodka or mix it with a flavouring essence.

        Many here go to some effort to replicate more pure methods with grains or other materials. Maybe oak for flavour and aging etc.

        I'm to impatient for that.......

        It's your choice how you make your hooch !

        first of all I am sorry for my English, I know its really bad,

        my question is

         " why we need to make alcohol with barley, corn, wheat etc instead of all this mess we can make alcohol with normal table sugar, is there any difference of taste or health matter or what, why we need to go for this long process of alcohol making by grains"

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2014
          At 06:17 AM 5/21/2014, you wrote:

          >Hi,
          >

          >first of all I am sorry for my English, I know its really bad,
          >
          >my question is
          >
          > " why we need to make alcohol with barley, corn, wheat etc instead
          > of all this mess we can make alcohol with normal table sugar, is
          > there any difference of taste or health matter or what, why we need
          > to go for this long process of alcohol making by grains"

          I think that the answer you are lookin for is: that fermenting with
          grains adds specific flavours to the alcohol which can carry over to
          the final product. Neutral alcohols (my word) made with sugar, yeast
          and nutrients produces an alcohol that is almost without flavor;
          something like a vodka.
          Neutral alcohols can be flavored after distillation with additives if
          you desire.
          I do not distill acohol very much anymore but............. when I do
          it is to produce that neutral alcohol that I like to play around with.
          I also distill wine on occasion to produce brandy.

          Derek

          ---