Parts Wanted

  • Catfish
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2014
      I'm looking for something like this but in copper so I don't need to
      worry about trying to braze stainless steel to copper.

      http://preview.tinyurl.com/lerfsh2

      I found something like it but for $34 each.
      Does anybody have any ideas?
      Thanks.

      --
      Catfish
      www.FarkleMasters.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2014
        Why not try to make one out of a small copper sheet if you know how to braze?  Use steel collars and pipe to shape it and hammer a single or double lip.  braze the seam.  That's my two cents.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2014
          We made the one that I have now and it leaks like a sieve once I start getting up to temp.
          I ordered them from Still Dragon yesterday.
          I ordered the 2" (smallest they offer) and have a 1.5" column so I'll sweat in a reducer and we plan on a blow off valve so if we build more than 30 psi it'll let out the excess pressure.
          It's always a work in progress.

          Catfish
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 30, 2014, at 9:00 PM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          Why not try to make one out of a small copper sheet if you know how to braze?  Use steel collars and pipe to shape it and hammer a single or double lip.  braze the seam.  That's my two cents.

          Robert
        • o1bigtenor
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

            On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Catfish <CatfishRacing@...> wrote:

            We made the one that I have now and it leaks like a sieve once I start getting up to temp.
            I ordered them from Still Dragon yesterday.
            I ordered the 2" (smallest they offer) and have a 1.5" column so I'll sweat in a reducer and we plan on a blow off valve so if we build more than 30 psi it'll let out the excess pressure.
            It's always a work in progress.

            At anything past atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi usually rounded to 15 psi) you are manufacturing something that is considered a 'pressure' item. Because the failure of such is far too often catastrophic there are piles of regulations to protect the public in the production of such. You do need to be aware that with a 30 psi blow off valve you are working with something that if not built with skill AND care could be quite dangerous if something goes wrong. (I hope it never does!!) Superheated water (water under pressure so that its heat is greater than boiling) when allowed to expand into steam expands at a ratio of 1700 (IIRC) to 1 - - - please note that gasoline only does 300 to 1 so the possibility for some extreme results isn't too far away. Please be careful - - - your life may be in the balance (and that of those in close proximity to you)!                    Dee
          • PhilipWilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014
              You don't need to braze the SS ferrule to your copper pipe, hard silver solder with mapp gas works nicely.  You need to use appropriate flux. I used a 2" straight copper slip coupling rather than 2" pipe directly.
            • eddie_hoskin@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014

                FYI, hard silver soldering is a form of brazing :)

                Radical Ed

                Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                You don't need to braze the SS ferrule to your copper pipe, hard silver solder with mapp gas works nicely.  You need to use appropriate flux. I used a 2" straight copper slip coupling rather than 2" pipe directly.

              • Chuck
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 31, 2014
                These are available in copper $22 each

                2" tri clamp to 2 inch copper
                On Monday, March 31, 2014 9:48 AM, "eddie_hoskin@..." <eddie_hoskin@...> wrote:

                FYI, hard silver soldering is a form of brazing :)
                Radical Ed

                You don't need to braze the SS ferrule to your copper pipe, hard silver solder with mapp gas works nicely.  You need to use appropriate flux. I used a 2" straight copper slip coupling rather than 2" pipe directly.

              • Chuck

                You don't need to braze the SS ferrule to your copper pipe, hard silver solder with mapp gas works nicely.  You need to use appropriate flux. I used a 2" straight copper slip coupling rather than 2" pipe directly.

              • ballard_bootlegger
                Message 9 of 9 , Apr 14, 2014
                  Hi Chuck,
                  Where did you find that fitting?