Reuse of oak barrel

  • Jim Haller
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014

      I bought a 10 gallon used whiskey barrel from a local distillery several years ago and used it to age scotch whiskey.  I was very pleased with the results although I may have bottled it a bit too soon.  I’ve not been known for my patience.  After bottling the whiskey, I used it to age a Trappist Ale beer and this turned out to be one of my best efforts.  Now I am planning to make rye whiskey that should be aged in an “virgin” oak barrel.  I have disassembled the 10 gallon barrel and see that the burned inner surface appears to be around 1/16” to 1/8” deep while the thickness of the staves is just under 1” thick.  I have a friend who has a wood planer and was wondering if I could shave off from 1/8” to 3/16” on the inner surface and reuse the barrel for the rye. If I do this, would I still get the oak flavor without compromising the taste with past scotch and/or beer flavors?  Does anyone have any experience in reusing barrels in this way?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Gonetotx

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014
        There is a company in Scotland that imports used oak barrels from the U.S. and they totally refurbish them for that purpose.  They took them apart, removed the char, re-assembled the barrels, and re-charred some of them, and they were doing it for Scotch Whiskey which is mostly rye.

        Hope that helps,

        Robert

[...]

      • Michael Cameron
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014
          Scotch is ..... wait for it, not made from Rye.  Malted Barley is the grain.

[...]

        • roger shattuck
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014
            If patience is an issue, then smaller barrels might be a solution. They can cut down the aging time considerably.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014
              I thought it was 70 % rye, 20 % corn, and 10% barley.  That is what I have down for a Scotch formula.  I will have to re-check out other formulas.  Thanks for the correction.

              Robert

              Scotch is ..... wait for it, not made from Rye.  Malted Barley is the grain.

            • Tom Brohamer
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014

                It does appear that they can use rye in Scottish whiskey, but I’d question the 70%.  Here is an overview:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_whiskey

                Cheers,

                BBQ Tom

                I thought it was 70 % rye, 20 % corn, and 10% barley.  That is what I have down for a Scotch formula.  I will have to re-check out other formulas.  Thanks for the correction.

                Robert

                Scotch is ..... wait for it, not made from Rye.  Malted Barley is the grain.

              • ankit_sethi
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 26, 2014
                  Scotch is made from 100 %barley converted into malt .

                  Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 27, 2014

                    As mentioned, scotch is made from barley and is usually aged in used whiskey barrels.  That was what I did.  But now my rye whiskey, made from >51% rye, must be aged in an unused, virgin, oak barrel. So far, the responses to my original question has not addressed my issue - can I shave off the old charcoal, re-charcoal the inside and reuse the barrel for rye.  There seems to be plenty of thickness (1") to allow about 1/8" to 3/16" to be removed without jeopardizing the holding function of the barrel.  I'm wondering if the new surface would still have the "virgin" oak properties to properly age the rye.

                    Gonetotx

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 27, 2014
                      As I said the first time YES, because they do it in Scotland all of the time.  Even if my Scotch formula was in error.

                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 28, 2014
                        What have you got to loose just do it.  You’ll never I think get all the old flavour out because wood by it’s very nature breaths and you will lose distillate i.e the ‘Angels Share’.  but what you propose to do seems to be well thought out and perfectly do-able and the only way to see if it produces a good taste is by boldly going were a lot on here aint not went before (not exactly Star Trek’) but I think you get the point. give it a try but keep us all posted so we’ll know for future reference
                      • RLB
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
                          Personally, I will never use oak barrels.  Just toss in some dried oak sticks into a gallon or quart glass container.  If I remember, it only takes a gallon 2 months verses 2 year in a large barrel to finish.  I wonder if you leave the oak in the glass container for 2 years that it might taste like a 12 year old bourbon?  Something to think about for future experiments.

                          Robert