New guy on the block!

  • Mike Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2000
      Hi guys, I'm glad to meet all of you and read your wonderful posts.
      I would also like to thank Tony for his informative website.

      I have a couple questions, hopefully you guys could lend some advice.

      I recently made my first batch in my reflux still, I was amazed to
      see
      the clearity of the distillate I got. The only problem I have is
      it's
      distinct smell of yeast. The mash I used was a sugar/water mixture,
      and I distilled to up to the temperature of around 82 and then quit.
      What would be the easy way to carbon polish my distillate? I tried
      running it through a Brita Water filter twice and it helped but has
      not totally cleared up the smell?

      My other question would be, could I put in too much sugar or yeast
      whn
      making the mash? I don't think I used too much yeast, I have heard
      before that you don't really need alot of yeast because it multiples.

      Is this true? Out of 10 gal. I only got out 1 and half bottles, Could
      I have put in too much sugar?

      Thanks, all suggestions are appreciated
      Mike