Massachusetts Licence Requirements

  • dewolfeg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 14, 2014
      Could you please tell me what it would take to acquire a licence to legally make Whiskey in Massachusetts? Just wondering if the cost and legal process is worth the effort.

      Thank you,

      Gary
    • Alli Bugger

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2014

            Also the American Distilling Institute is a great place to source the information that your after.

            Cheers

            Marc

          • Alli Bugger
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 18, 2014
              You got me thinking about the subject of state licensing so I am putting together a list by state of the fees and bonding requirements to get a distillers/manufacturers license that I will publish when I am done.  Massachusetts is certainly one of the more expensive states.  This project is more time consuming than one would think, primarily because many of the state web sites are not very user friendly - in some cases you actually have to call their offices and ask how much the fees are.  Many do not distinguish between the application fee and the renewal fee.

              Alli

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
                That would be awesome Alli, thank you!

                Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson

              • Gary DeWolfe
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 20, 2014
                  I have been doing a little research and think I would like to give it a try. I don't think there are many legal small distilers in MA.I have been reading as much as I can and your help is well taken. Please don't hesitate with any advise.

                  Thank You

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 20, 2014
                    Gary,
                    I can tell you that state distillery licensing fees are all over the map.  As I said Massachusetts is way out there with a $9000 annual fee. That fee does nothing to encourage new businesses in your state - it is actually counter to what the state should be doing, but you have to remember that these stupidly high fees go back to prohibition mentality. A few states like Washington, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Oregon are getting the message and are/have enacted legislation to reduce the fees for small/artisan distilleries to encourage new businesses and jobs.  My suggestion to you is to call your state legislative representative and tell him/her that you are interested in starting a small business but the ridiculously high fees make no sense and do nothing but discourage your efforts.  You should suggest that they get out of the dark ages and revise the licensing fees to reflect today's economy.  As an example, Pennsylvania recently reduced the distillery licensing fees from $5600/year to $1500.year.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 24, 2014
                      Hello, some one see this offer, I want to know if this is real, can I have my own KCCO liquor brand