Wanted: Malted grain testes

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 16, 2013
      I am starting a new grain malting business in my area of the U.S., and I will be looking for very experienced home brewers and distillers to test my malts and to provide honest feedback as to what they think of my malts.  Some comment will be used on my future web site and other comments will be used as a means of helping me to make a better product.  The only compensation these malt testers will receive is free samples of malted grains.  (Each sample box will contain between 10 and 15 lbs of malted grain.

      10 experienced U.S. testers will be selected (5 home brewers and 5 distillers.)  If you have many years experience in producing a quality beer or spirit, you may contact me at rlbliven@....  Please provide years experience, what you have made in the past, and how often you brew or distill.  State if you have a preferred grain.  At this time, I will only be making malted corn, barley, rye, wheat, oats, and buckwheat.

      If you are selected as a tester, you will be contacted, and a shipping address will only be requested at that time.  Tester sample will alway be free of any charge(s) and at no time will testers ever be solicited to purchase products from my company.

      Regards,

      Robert L. Bliven
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 17, 2013

        Wanted, malted grain TESTES????

        Subject: [Distillers] Wanted: Malted grain testes

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 17, 2013
          My Bad "Testers"

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 17, 2013

            Ain't gonna give up mine!

            On Nov 17, 2013 2:25 PM, "Paul" <sudokuhater-b@...> wrote:

            Wanted, malted grain TESTES????

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013
              That's okay!  Looking for legal people in the industry rather than moonshines and unlicensed hobbyist who put out less than a quality product.  Besides, only the top 5 beer and spirit will be asked for a shipping address.  I just found a huge data base that contains hundreds of brewing clubs throughout the US to ask if they are interested in being malt testers.  Here in New York State there are 39 brewing clubs and that does not include brewing pubs.  There are many web sites that have micro-distilleries, so I will also be contacting many of them.

              Well experienced people in the brewing and spirit industry are the only ones who can tell if my malt is any good compared to others.

              Robert Bliven

              P.S.  I expect there are a few people in these groups who are legal distillers who might be interested in testing free malt.  This is my only reason for asking in these groups.  Seeking legal brewers and distillers removes the possibility that I am an officer trying to trap moonshiners and hobbyist.

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013

                Nuts to you too!

                Ain't gonna give up mine!

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013

                  Nuts to you too!

                  Ain't gonna give up mine!

                • Eddie Hoskin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013

                    Gives a whole new meaning to the term "wheatberry" o.O

                    :p

                    Radical Ed

                    Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013
                      I realize that some people will feel slighted and others think that I am a fed.  This is why I am only looking for legal brewers and distillers as my malt testers, so no one can ever say that I had anything to do with their legal trouble.  This is another reason why persons outside of the U.S. are not included.  Do you really want the feds to know that someone is sending malts to you from an other country?  I am actually helping moonshines and hobbyist to stay out of trouble by excluding them.  I expect the TTB will read all of my e-mails in the hope of learning information about moonshiners and hobbyist, so you should be thanking me for keeping you out of trouble with the law.

                      Robert Bliven

                        In the US everyone is a "legal" brewer Do you have a web site for this new malting company?  As for the TTB staking us out I guess I should be worried about that Black SUV parked across the street every time we malt a few hundred pounds of local Barley and Rye.  And I will keep an eye out for the black helicopters next time I fire up the roaster.  Good luck with your malting operation after a few thousand lbs you will fine that it a lot of work but worth doing in order to keep things local.

                        ---In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <last2blast@...> wrote:

                        I realize that some people will feel slighted and others think that I am a fed.  This is why I am only looking for legal brewers and distillers as my malt testers, so no one can ever say that I had anything to do with their legal trouble.  This is another reason why persons outside of the U.S. are not included.  Do you really want the feds to know that someone is sending malts to you from an other country?  I am actually helping moonshines and hobbyist to stay out of trouble by excluding them.  I expect the TTB will read all of my e-mails in the hope of learning information about moonshiners and hobbyist, so you should be thanking me for keeping you out of trouble with the law.

                        Robert Bliven

                          The responses about not giving them up or nuts are making fun of your subject line typo. You do not need to reply to them in defense of your request and/or business plan.

                          -j

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 25, 2013
                              Thank you,

                              After seeing the overwhelming response from the brewing community, I have to agree that a few negative comments don't require a response.

                              I just need to find more experienced micro distillers to complete my list of Malted grain testers.

                              Robert Bliven

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 11, 2013

                                Robert.  I've been trying to find a source for unmalted barely to try my own hand at malting barely just for a test batch or two of homebrew.  I've been having trouble finding a source.  Local homebre shops say they just dont have a source or demand for un malted, and the big companies aren't responding to email, or calls.  I certainly don't have the experience to be a tester for you, but I'm interested getting some unmalted grain from you, or curious what your source is.

                                thanks,

                                -d

                              • RLB
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 11, 2013
                                  If all goes well, I will be teaching Grain Malting at a local agriculture college in 2014 while operating my malting business.  If they actually setup a full malting course, students will be instructed on how to use malts in food and brewing industry.

                                  I don't know where you are located, but in the U.S. there are animal feed stores that sell bulk grain to farmers.  One of these bulk feed stores is my supplier, and they purchase their grain directly from local farmers.

                                  Without trying to advertise in this group, you might want to check out "Grain Kit - Have it your way" on Ebay.  A Grain Kit allows a person to order all of their grains and malts they need to brew a 10 gal batch of beer or 5 to 7 gal wort for spirits.  If that Grain Kit is too large for you, send a message to the seller, and they will most likely be able to supply you with a smaller amount of 2 row barley grain.

                                  If you live outside of the U.S., you will have problems obtaining some grains.  If you can't locate barley, you can use alfalfa sprouts, chick peas, or mung beans as having the same large amounts of enzymes as barley.  If you can obtain any untreated grain seeds, you can make malts from that grain.  It just takes a lot more of that malted grain to turn starches into sugar.  Hope this helps.

                                  Robert

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 12, 2013
                                    Robert,

                                    Thanks so much.  That does help a bit.  For the record, I am In Phoenix AZ  (in the US)  I am aware that barley can be obtained from feed stores, but I also know that there are varieties of barley grown specifically for feed, and others specifically for Malt.  For example....  Harrington is a two-rowed malting barley variety developed by the University of Saskatchewan from the cross of Klages/3/Gazelle/Centennial selection.  It was released through the SeCan Association.  It is susceptible to leaf diseases (net blotch, scald), stem rust, and loose smut.  It has a long, rough awn and a white aleurone.  It has a tendency for kernel skinning unless carefully threshed.  This variety has been accepted for malting by the American Malting Barley Association.

                                    More info on types here...  http://www.wildhorseseeds.com/Barley.html

                                    I imagine any barely could make a good beer if done properly, so I suppose even whatever you get from a feed store would be fine to experiment with.  My experience has been that the feed stores (at least the people I end up talking to), just don't know much about the variety.

                                    Either way I'm beginning to think the feed store is the way to go to start experimenting.  Maybe down the road when I know more, I can worry more about verity.

                                    Thanks again and good luck in your venture as well

                                    Derek

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 12, 2013
                                      Derek:

                                      Just be careful when someone like the American Malting Barley Association accepts something like Harrington 2- row barley.  There is a good chance that money changed hands for their recommendation.

                                      You may find it interesting to learn there are some new 6 - row barley Hybrids that are very close to performing as well as 2 - row barley, so one day we will have a barley that provides the benefits of both worlds.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 12, 2013

                                        On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Derek Poertner <macdirk@...> wrote:

                                        Robert,

                                        Thanks so much.  That does help a bit.  For the record, I am In Phoenix AZ  (in the US)  I am aware that barley can be obtained from feed stores, but I also know that there are varieties of barley grown specifically for feed, and others specifically for Malt.  For example....  Harrington is a two-rowed malting barley variety developed by the University of Saskatchewan from the cross of Klages/3/Gazelle/Centennial selection.  It was released through the SeCan Association.  It is susceptible to leaf diseases (net blotch, scald), stem rust, and loose smut.  It has a long, rough awn and a white aleurone.  It has a tendency for kernel skinning unless carefully threshed.  This variety has been accepted for malting by the American Malting Barley Association.

                                        Well - - - I don't know about down there but up here in Canuckistan

                                        two varieties

                                        • AC Metcalfe
                                        • AAC Synergy
                                        • Bentley
                                        • CDC Copeland
                                        • CDC Kendall
                                        • CDC Kindersley
                                        • CDC Landis
                                        • CDC Meredith
                                        • CDC PolarStar
                                        • CDC Reserve
                                        • Cerveza
                                        • Harrington
                                        • Major
                                        • Merit 16
                                        • Merit 57
                                        • Newdale
                                        • Norman
                                        six row varieties

                                        • CDC Anderson
                                        • CDC Battleford
                                        • Celebration
                                        • CDC Clyde
                                        • CDC Kamsack
                                        • CDC Mayfair
                                        • CDC Yorkton
                                        • Lacey
                                        • Legacy
                                        • Robust
                                        • Stellar-ND
                                        • Tradition
                                        Above you find the 'official' list. I can tell you that likely about 4 of these varieties comprise the bulk of what's accepted. Its part of the game called farming. If the protein is a wee bit high, not right, if the kernels are not exactly as plump as they want them, not good enough and on and on. That's in the fall. Then if harvests are bad in other major malt growing areas then all of a sudden that previously not good enough is quite good enough!

                                        Harrington, although listed is one of the 'old' varieties and its likely hard to find today.

                                        My suggestion would be that you look for clean plump barley where the hulls are NOT broken or skinned. Also I would try not to get a variety that had a thick hull. Then you got work to do. Any barley can be used but the malsters want easy and super uniform - - - makes their job easier and gets them more bucks!

                                        More info on types here...  http://www.wildhorseseeds.com/Barley.html

                                        I imagine any barely could make a good beer if done properly, so I suppose even whatever you get from a feed store would be fine to experiment with.  My experience has been that the feed stores (at least the people I end up talking to), just don't know much about the variety.

                                        If you go to a seed sales company you will pay more but you then will be able to find out what variety you will be getting.

                                        Either way I'm beginning to think the feed store is the way to go to start experimenting.  Maybe down the road when I know more, I can worry more about verity.

                                        If you can't open the sack to check the grain for skinned and/or broken kernels I wouldn't buy at the feed mill. To a feed mill those broken and/or skinned kernels make your life as a feeder easier so they see things from a wee different perspective!

                                        Merry Christmas to one an all and a wonderful New Year!!!

                                        Darald