micro still bust

  • chris jude
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2013
      Saw this in the local news, was surprised at how small the still was:
      http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9296792

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2013
        TTB is less likely to bother a person if its for private use, but they do have a problem if you try and sell it without paying your taxes.  His operation was for sales of moonshine, so he got busted.  His operation was so small that they released him with an appearance ticket.  The law, distilleries, law abiding citizens, and moonshiners are our worst enemy if we try to sell spirits.  It just isn't worth trying to sell illegally.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2013
          There is no indication in that story he was selling.  Note the "possess/sell" for each charge, either counts.  Seriously think he was selling with a 3 gallon-ish still?  Looks like a dozen quart jars, and a dozen half pints in the picture, just enough to make cuts with.  In fact note the one jar that seems to have aged product in it, it has about 2 ounces, hopefully he chugged the rest right before they came in!

          I'd say this was a hobbyist who got ratted out by a jilted lover, "friend" or was served for something else when they stumbled over the still.

          While "don't sell" is a good moral, I think the more applicable one is "keep your face-hole shut unless you're using it to keep your lady happy.  And clean house at the first sign of a breakup."