Re: [Distillers] Re: what to build ?

  • Eddie Hoskin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
      Ah yes, but you are confusing two distinct mechanisms--evaporation and boiling.

      Evaporation connotates a state below the boiling temperature.  In such a case, yes, increasing the temperature/ surface area and decreasing pressure will indeed increase the amount of liquid turning into vapor.

      However, at the temperature of boiling, you cannot change the temperature.  Instead, the energy you input into the liquid will convert the liquid into a gas.  Only when all the liquid has been evaporated will you rise above the boiling point.

      Of course, in ethanol/water distillation, it's a touch more complicated.  As the stilling run progresses, the alcohol % decreases, thereby increasing the water/ethanol mixture's boiling point.  But at any given point in time, you cannot exceed the mixture's boiling point.

      Surface area has no impact on this--more heat, more boiling.

      Pressure does have an impact on this, by altering the boiling temperature of the mixture.  Again, the rate of boiling liquid into vapor will be directly proportional to the heat input, but this will occur at a lower temp.

      Hope that helps,
      Radical Ed