Re: Does anyone know how to make a wash for Arrack, (India's "Toddy")?

  • Hector Landaeta
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
      Hey Nevada, did you check wikipedia?
      I tell you something: I have lived in coconut country all of my life, I even had a couple of the trees in my backyard, but I never imagined that I had a source of distillable sugar right there!  Wow! Two liters a day of sugary sap!  It would be nice to know the Brix of that sap... But according to the same source, and if it yields a 5-7% ABV wine at a wild yeast fermentation it shouldn't be too far from 15-19 º Brix, as in strongish a beer wort.
      I sure hope you're not afraid of heights and are a good tree climber because it seems that's what you're going to have to do in order to experiment with arrack.  Do keep us posted if you proceed!
      Salud!
    • Hector Landaeta
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
        Nevada:
        I later found this rather superficial video about Arrack making in a paradise spot in Indonesia. The most interesting part is where it shows the palm tree is a COMPLETELY different species from the regular coconut plant! (strike three, I guess).
        Salud!
      • Todd Stewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
          i actually posted my recipe for an Arrack on here a few years ago... If you search Gol-Dhana Arrack, you should find it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
            The coconut palm sugar is a dark color the usual one from Thailand is from the palmyra palm and is much lighter.
            Toddy is usually between 4-6% alcohol.
            wal

            > Indian and Sri Lankan toddy is the fermented palm sap from the flowering top. Arrack is the distillate. A palm sugar wash is the way to go.
            > Batavia arrack (Indonesia) uses molasses and a rice fungal-yeast starter (ragi) in the Chinese manner.
            > wal
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nevadaerwins" <nevadaerwins@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have become acquainted with this Rum like drink. I have source out the Coconut Palm Sugar but it seems to me that this is a simple sugar wash.
            > >
            > > does anyone have any information on this? I cannot find anything regarding the making of Arrack online. A lot of mentions but no guidance.
            > >
            > > Thanks

          • Timothy C Smoth
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
              On the island of Borneo, Arrak is made by distilling a certain rice wine. The still used is a pot with an invited cone lid, which gets filled with water. There is a pipe going through the side if the pot to a collection funnel.
              Cuts are rarely made. Although the same producer will generally have at least two qualities. One for friends and one for sale.
              The rice wine used for making Arrak is not the same rice wine that is drank as wine. The wine version is known as Tuak. (Too-ak)

              Sent from Tim's iPhone