Re: Vinegar

  • mav
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
      That tinyurl did not work, try this one

      http://tinyurl.com/lry8wey

      cheers
      Marc

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
      >
      > Only one link works but thats a start.
      >
      > Cheres
      > Marc
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
        I am not a vinegar fan but I became interested in balsamic vinegar after watching a UK TV show.  True Balsamic vinegar is wine based vinegar that is stored in oak barrels for a minimum of 12 year.   Much cheaper balsamic like vinegars are stored in barrels for a few months.

        The vinegar process is very simple, and you can find many vids on YouTube.  Most of the vid showed ready vinegar within 3 weeks.

        Vinegar is the opposite of brewing alcohol.  We brew to produce alcohol, but vinegar is the conversion of that alcohol into vinegar.  I found vinegar process very interesting in that if I brew correctly my wash will never turn into vinegar before its distilled.  There was a discussion pertaining to bacteria that consumed alcohol.  In some cases, vinegar is produced by feeding a "Mother" culture that consumes all alcohol.  In one vid they even added sugar to the liquid medium.

        All brewers should learn how to make vinegar, so they can understand how to prevent their wash from turning into vinegar.

        I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.

        http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8

        Only one link works but thats a start.

        Cheres
        Marc

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@...> wrote:

        > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

      • donna ricketts
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
          >
          > Only one link works but thats a start.
          >
          > Cheres
          > Marc
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

          This is from ChefSteve vinegar is the easy thing to do just leave a bottle of wine with a loose top for a week or two poof "vinegar"
          you can mash tart apples strain through cheesecloth bottle with small amount cheese cloth and let it stand 1/6 months vinegar. Just type on this box what you want ie:how to make vinegar...good luck
        • donna ricketts
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

            > That tinyurl did not work, try this one
            >

            > http://tinyurl.com/lry8wey
            >
            > cheers
            > Marc
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
            > >
            > > Only one link works but thats a start.
            > >
            > > Cheres
            > > Marc
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!
            > > >
            > >Dorin un less you have a spare 12 years on your hands and 5 different size and flavor wood barrels you won't make balsamic. It is a long term process to get the complex taste. plain vinegar only takes a few weeks.....from ChefSteve

          • Dan Lago
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013

              Here is an article from The Beverage People with some simple info:  http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/pdf/webvinegarpdf/vinegar.pdf

              Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!