Re: [Distillers] Rye ergot

  • Adam Fordham
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5 2:00 PM
      Well that doesn't sound so bad. Thanks for sharing. Safety is first always.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2013

        Just a quick question about ergot please. If ergot was passed on to the wort/wash, when it is turned into distillate the ethanol would kill it right? I turn out 155 proof on my second run. Thanks much

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 16, 2013
          ergot isn't an infectious poison like the flu or salmonella.  The poisons are chemicals produced by the fungus.  So it's not a matter of the ethanol killing the ergot as much as it's a matter of it being incredibly unlikely that you'd ever manage to poison yourself with them.

          Ethanol will kill ergot, it won't destroy the toxins.  In fact ethanol is a good solvent for the toxins.  On the other hand, many (most? all?) the toxins are relatively unstable so the heat and air exposure is likely to have destroyed them.
          BTW, here are some pics of ergot, one on the stalk, the other in loose grain to illustrate what I meant above about it being easy to spot.  It's actually hard to miss...
          http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wong/BOT135/ErgotonRye.gif
          http://www.buhlergroup.com/global/images/Grainsorting_Rye_reject_002.jpg