Re Marc's rum recpe

  • mav
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2013
      This is some think that wrote some time ago!!

      Cheers
      Marc

      Marc's Economical Rum Recipe

      Equipment needed:

      20-30 liter fermenter
      Big stirring spoon
      Whisk
      15 liter boiling pot
      Temperature gauge
      Specific gravity hydrometer
      2 liter pouring jugs
      Clean water supply
      Washing &sterilizing stuff/powder
      An area where you can do this with out distraction (cd player with favorite music optional)

      Tip:

      Keep your spoons and whisk in a bucket of plain hot water in-between stirrings

      Ingredients;

      2 liters of molasses
      3. 2 kilograms of Raw sugar
      2 liters of dunder (if you have some)
      50 grams of boiled bread yeast (normal yeast boiled)
      20 grams of magnesium sulfate (Epson salts)
      70 grams of tomato paste
      24 grams of di-ammonium phosphate (DAP)
      1 table spoon of citric acid
      1 or 2 vitamin B pills crushed (optional)
      50 grams of your preferred fermenting yeast

      Method:

      Boil up 6 liters of tap water, once boiling add the 1 tablespoon of citric acid.

      Add the 3. 2 kilograms of Raw sugar to the pot, kilogram at a time then let re-boil.

      Add all of the other Ingredients to the pot except the dunder and molasses then let it re-boil again until every thing is dissolved, then a bit more to invert the sugar, maybe 15 minutes extra, up to youJ

      Put your hot pot into your dish washing sink with the plug in and fill the sink to match the level of your sugar mix and let it cool down. Don't put the cold water in the pot, just in the sink! This is to cool the sugar mix down to reduce the time we can start the fermentation.

      While your pot is cooling, measure 2 liters of molasses and pour it into your fermenter, then pour 2 liters of dunder in the fermenter with the molasses.

      When most of the heat is taken out of the sugar pot mix, pour it into the fermenter then mix well to dissolve the molasses.

      Once your happy with that start to pour cold tap water into the fermenter (use the jug if you need to), as you go test the wash temperature, we want it around 30 degrees Celsius once full.

      As you fill the fermenter with cold water, please stir the wash to mix it up so when you check the temperature, the temperature reading should be good also it add oxygen to the wash which helps yeast to grow quickly. The whisk does this very well!

      When all things equal, use the specific gravity hydrometer. It should around 1060 –1080, which should make it a 10- 12 % wash. This will depend on the type of molasses you use.

      Stir it up again and when the wash is still spinning start pouring in the fermenting yeast so it mixes in evenly, you may need the whisk again for this job.

      After about 15 to 30 minutes a foam cap should form (with bread yeast it does), stir it in and then put your lid on, check for leaks. It may over again so fix this by adding a vinyl clear tube from the top of the bubbler into a bucket with a little bit a water in the bottom. It will bubble way and if it want to puke, fine it puke into the bucket. It works fine!

      Sorry for the metric stuff, it's the way of most of the world!

      Here is Harry's fifty liter recipe, I did not edit his typing. Harry was responding to my nubie questions about an easy rum recipe a few years agoJ Btw Harry owns new distillers and distillers yahoo groups if you do not know?

      Harry's fifty liter Rum wash

      ...........10 litres molasses, 20 litres hot water, 20 litres
      dunder, juice of 2 lemons, 3 or 4 multi-B-vitamins for good measure,
      just in case the molasses is lacking anything (extra doesn't hurt. I
      use those big "Berocca" morning after fizzies). Clarify the
      molasses overnight with the first 20 L hot water. Next day set up
      the fermenter (it needs to be a 60 litre container to leave room for
      foaming), add everything else (minus the sludge), aerate with a
      vigorous stir-up, pitch the yeast (use plenty; I use anything up to
      300 gms of granulated bakers, rehydrated). Airlock it, then stand
      back. :)

      >Or is it better to do smaller
      > batches and to get a better dunder quicker? I suppose that sounds
      > better.

      ........Small batches for a start, until you get a feel for it.
      Then up the size. BTW, here's a little tip. If you've got the room
      in your freezer (I have), dunder will keep perfectly for up to a
      year. Just thaw & go. (ain't modern technology marvellous?).

      So there is two recipe's that I use and like. Notice how there is no salt added? Salt kills yeast! When using sugar, always use RAW sugar it has molasses in it which adds food for the yeast.

      Molasses fact:

      5 liters of molasses should weigh about 7 kilograms. Depending what type of molasses you get, 7 KG's of molasses should have around 3.18 KG's of potential sugar!

      The reason I added that is because I assume you are in the US of A and molasses can be hard to find or it's expensive to buy. So note, I add 3.2 kg of raw sugar, it is a substitute for 5 liters of molasses. So if you can get molasses cheap? Then use it, if can not use raw sugar. But try to some molasses and collect your spent striping run stillage that left in the still. Whiskey people call it al sorts of stuff, but dunder it is, the contents still, not the fermenter.

      This email is turning out longer than I thought but I haven't typed it out like this so I find it very timely. I other words my recipe is scribbled on bits of paper that slowly wearing out.

      I've been using this for few years now so it should work ok but if have question do ask also do you think this should be posted on Point's web site? Anyway I've go to and practice what I preach right now! Got some new Lalvin EC1118 that bought from www.winequip.com.au to test, I've always used Mauripan bread yeast with good results.

      Cheers
      Marc

      Ps, good luck mate!