Re: [Distillers] Re: Molasses - does it go off ?

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
      I pitched 21 g in 1.25 gallons to see if it would increase fermentation, but it did not make much difference in my case.  Rather than dump a large amount of yeast into my wash, I prefer to start with 5 g of yeast and take a few hours to culture my yeast in large plastic cups (A stir plate is on my wish list).  By the time I am ready to pitch there are 2 large cups of cultured yeast.  Try that the next time you make your wash but double your DAP!

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
        I was worried about the taste tomato paste would introduce to the final product, hence I've never gone down that path.
        Using Golden syrup, Molasses and Treacle in varying amounts adds a dimension to the dunder which I would be worried about losing,
        The hit and miss was more about getting the brew fermenting, obviously better chance of success in summer.
        The more natural the better I would have thought?

        Nonetheless, it's an interesting exchange of viewpoints.

        Mike

        --
        Mike Novak

        Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

      • mav
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
          The reason I use large mount of yeast is to reduce lag time, the fermention starts with in 30 minutes. Even Harry used this technique for his rum fermentions.

          I go through all the steps when I make my beer, that includes using my magnetic stir plate for a yeast starter.

          Cheers
          Marc

          ps Bread yeast is cheap, $3 for 500 grams.