Re: Molasses - does it go off ?

  • mav
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
      G'day Mike

      When you said "Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment", thats what my recipe is mostly about. I wanted a repeatable recipe, my recipe is just a mix of other recipes.

      Afew years ago, there were some discussion, like why we can use things like tomatoe paste, magnesium sulfate and boiled yeast as nutrients for fermention. I used some of those ideas in my recipe.

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Marc,
      > Yes it was the rum recipe`, bit different from mine, thats why I'm
      > interested in other viewpoints.
      >
      > Using a 20L drum, I generally add 5 L Golden Syrup/Molasses/Treacle mixture.
      > Depending on what the dunder is "telling" me I add differing proportions of
      > those 3.
      >
      > Then 5 L Dunder and top up Water.
      >
      > Stir, then let nature take it's course.
      >
      > Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment, most times it takes off
      > naturally (mostly in Summer).
      > If not then I add a sachet of champagne yeast.
      >
      > I'll give your recipe a go next brew.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > --
      > Mike Novak
      >
      > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
        I pitched 21 g in 1.25 gallons to see if it would increase fermentation, but it did not make much difference in my case.  Rather than dump a large amount of yeast into my wash, I prefer to start with 5 g of yeast and take a few hours to culture my yeast in large plastic cups (A stir plate is on my wish list).  By the time I am ready to pitch there are 2 large cups of cultured yeast.  Try that the next time you make your wash but double your DAP!

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
          I was worried about the taste tomato paste would introduce to the final product, hence I've never gone down that path.
          Using Golden syrup, Molasses and Treacle in varying amounts adds a dimension to the dunder which I would be worried about losing,
          The hit and miss was more about getting the brew fermenting, obviously better chance of success in summer.
          The more natural the better I would have thought?

          Nonetheless, it's an interesting exchange of viewpoints.

          Mike

          --
          Mike Novak

          Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

        • mav
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
            The reason I use large mount of yeast is to reduce lag time, the fermention starts with in 30 minutes. Even Harry used this technique for his rum fermentions.

            I go through all the steps when I make my beer, that includes using my magnetic stir plate for a yeast starter.

            Cheers
            Marc

            ps Bread yeast is cheap, $3 for 500 grams.