Re: [Distillers] Re: Molasses - does it go off ?

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2013
      Hi Marc,
      Thank you for the recipe offer Marc, I love to get it from you.
      Just email it to:   janooms10@...
      Cheers,
      Jan.

      On 3/08/2013 7:51 PM, mav wrote:

      "I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
      > instructions will be appreciated.
      > Cheers,
      > Jan."

      Jan, are still up for a rum recipe? I have my own 23 liter that I've been using for a few years now.

      Cheeres
      Marc

      Ps, I belive molasses is like honey.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jan <jkooms@...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      > I just remembered that I have about 10 imperial gallons of the same
      > stuff sitting in my garage. Just in time for making some Christmas gifts.
      > I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
      > instructions will be appreciated.
      > Cheers,
      > Jan.
      >

      > On 28/07/2013 5:42 PM, Frank na wrote:
      > >

      > > Greetings all ,
      > >
      > > I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had
      > > forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container during winters and
      > > summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still
      > > smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone
      > > experience this stuff going off ? If its OK i will make it into rum
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance

    • Mike Novak
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
        Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?

        --
        Mike Novak

        Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

      • mav
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
          Mike, Are you responding to me about my rum recipe I offered to Jan?

          I'll add it because it won't hurt.

          Marc's 23 liter Rum wash

          2 liters of molasses
          3.240 kg of raw sugar
          2 liters of dunder

          50 grams of bread yeast
          20 grams of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)
          70 grams of tomatoe paste
          24 grams of DAP
          one big table spoon of citric acid

          Method

          Pour two liters of molasses into the fermenting container then add as much hot water to dilute the molasses and the soon to be added sugar.

          Stir the diluted molasses until all the molasses off the bottom of the fermenting container. Add the sugar and stir again, then add the dunder if you have it. Stir it again.

          While the rum wash is cooling, get a cooking pot add about 500 ml of water to the pot then heat it close to the boil then start to add the magnesium sulfate, tomatoe paste, DAP, citric acid and the yeast. Bring it to a simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes then let it cool down or dump it in fermenting container.

          Once all is combined let cool to 25 - 30 degrees celsius then pitch your perfered yeast. I use 100 grams of bakers yeast to get things going pretty fast.

          Cheers
          Marc

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

          > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
          >
          > --
          > Mike Novak
          >
          > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
            150 g of baker's yeast?  That is a lot of yeast for only 24 g of DAP.

            Mike, Are you responding to me about my rum recipe I offered to Jan?

            I'll add it because it won't hurt.

            Marc's 23 liter Rum wash

            2 liters of molasses
            3.240 kg of raw sugar
            2 liters of dunder

            50 grams of bread yeast
            20 grams of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)
            70 grams of tomatoe paste
            24 grams of DAP
            one big table spoon of citric acid

            Method

            Pour two liters of molasses into the fermenting container then add as much hot water to dilute the molasses and the soon to be added sugar.

            Stir the diluted molasses until all the molasses off the bottom of the fermenting container. Add the sugar and stir again, then add the dunder if you have it. Stir it again.

            While the rum wash is cooling, get a cooking pot add about 500 ml of water to the pot then heat it close to the boil then start to add the magnesium sulfate, tomatoe paste, DAP, citric acid and the yeast. Bring it to a simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes then let it cool down or dump it in fermenting container.

            Once all is combined let cool to 25 - 30 degrees celsius then pitch your perfered yeast. I use 100 grams of bakers yeast to get things going pretty fast.

            Cheers
            Marc

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

            > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
            >
            > --
            > Mike Novak
            >
            > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

          • Eric Yendall
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
              I am interested in the rum recipe. Please post it to the group. Thanks

            • mav
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                I think I did Eric?

                If not, here is again.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eric Yendall <eric_yendall@...> wrote:

                > I am interested in the rum recipe. Please post it to the group. Thanks

              • White Bear
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                  Gotta ask, what's dunder??
                  WB

                  --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                  > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Mike Novak
                  >
                  > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                • Mike Novak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                    Thanks Marc,
                    Yes it was the rum recipe`, bit different from mine, thats why I'm interested in other viewpoints.

                    Using a 20L drum, I generally add 5 L Golden Syrup/Molasses/Treacle mixture.
                    Depending on what the dunder is "telling" me I add differing proportions of those 3.

                    Then 5 L Dunder and top up Water.

                    Stir, then let nature take it's course.

                    Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment, most times it takes off naturally (mostly in Summer).
                    If not then I add a sachet of champagne yeast.

                    I'll give your recipe a go next brew.

                    Mike

                    --
                    Mike Novak

                    Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

                  • mav
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                      Hi Lasttoblast, I'm glad you mentioned the yeast amount, I made a mistake!!

                      The pitching yeast amount is 50 grams for the 23 liter wash, I use 100 grams in my fifty liter molasses wash.

                      The 50 grams that goes into the pot that gets boiled will have their cells burst and will become extra nutrient, which helps to keep DAP levels down.

                      Sorry for the mistake.

                      Cheers
                      Marc

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                      > 150 g of baker's yeast?  That is a lot of yeast for only 24 g of DAP.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • mav
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                        Dunder is old stillage, (whats left over after a rum stripping run), that has been stored in open tanks to allow development of a strong bacterial flora. It is added to the next fermention to give more flavor.

                        It's not hard to find this info, just use the search function in this site

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                        > Gotta ask, what's dunder??
                        > WB

                      • mav
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                          G'day Mike

                          When you said "Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment", thats what my recipe is mostly about. I wanted a repeatable recipe, my recipe is just a mix of other recipes.

                          Afew years ago, there were some discussion, like why we can use things like tomatoe paste, magnesium sulfate and boiled yeast as nutrients for fermention. I used some of those ideas in my recipe.

                          Cheers
                          Marc

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Marc,
                          > Yes it was the rum recipe`, bit different from mine, thats why I'm
                          > interested in other viewpoints.
                          >
                          > Using a 20L drum, I generally add 5 L Golden Syrup/Molasses/Treacle mixture.
                          > Depending on what the dunder is "telling" me I add differing proportions of
                          > those 3.
                          >
                          > Then 5 L Dunder and top up Water.
                          >
                          > Stir, then let nature take it's course.
                          >
                          > Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment, most times it takes off
                          > naturally (mostly in Summer).
                          > If not then I add a sachet of champagne yeast.
                          >
                          > I'll give your recipe a go next brew.
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >

                          > --
                          > Mike Novak
                          >
                          > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                        • RLB
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                            I pitched 21 g in 1.25 gallons to see if it would increase fermentation, but it did not make much difference in my case.  Rather than dump a large amount of yeast into my wash, I prefer to start with 5 g of yeast and take a few hours to culture my yeast in large plastic cups (A stir plate is on my wish list).  By the time I am ready to pitch there are 2 large cups of cultured yeast.  Try that the next time you make your wash but double your DAP!

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
                              I was worried about the taste tomato paste would introduce to the final product, hence I've never gone down that path.
                              Using Golden syrup, Molasses and Treacle in varying amounts adds a dimension to the dunder which I would be worried about losing,
                              The hit and miss was more about getting the brew fermenting, obviously better chance of success in summer.
                              The more natural the better I would have thought?

                              Nonetheless, it's an interesting exchange of viewpoints.

                              Mike

                              --
                              Mike Novak

                              Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

                            • mav
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
                                The reason I use large mount of yeast is to reduce lag time, the fermention starts with in 30 minutes. Even Harry used this technique for his rum fermentions.

                                I go through all the steps when I make my beer, that includes using my magnetic stir plate for a yeast starter.

                                Cheers
                                Marc

                                ps Bread yeast is cheap, $3 for 500 grams.