Re: [Distillers] Re: spam

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 26, 2013
      A suggestion on spam.  I read the groups via email, specifically gmail.  Looking through the last month, I see only 6 spam messages, all in one thread.  I'm guessing there must be more than that for it to be a problem for others, but if so I guess Gmail is stopping it.

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Brian Boggs <boggs6155@...> wrote:

      The spam has to stop

    • Frank na
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 28, 2013

        Greetings all ,

        I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container  during winters and summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone experience this stuff going off ?  If its OK i will make it into rum

        Thanks in advance
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 28, 2013
          Frank,
          I just remembered that I have about 10 imperial gallons of the same stuff sitting in my garage. Just in time for making some Christmas gifts.
          I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and instructions  will be appreciated.
          Cheers,
          Jan.

          On 28/07/2013 5:42 PM, Frank na wrote:

          Greetings all ,

          I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container  during winters and summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone experience this stuff going off ?  If its OK i will make it into rum

          Thanks in advance

        • Mike Novak
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 29, 2013
            No, it won't go off, it's similar to using salt as a preservative.

            I'll take it off your hands...

            --
            Mike Novak

            Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

          • harisaki2004
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 29, 2013
              My opinion is Molasses will keep forever. The sugar content is high enough to be microbe stable and will not ferment either.

              regards

              Hari

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jan <jkooms@...> wrote:

              > Frank,
              > I just remembered that I have about 10 imperial gallons of the same
              > stuff sitting in my garage. Just in time for making some Christmas gifts.
              > I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
              > instructions will be appreciated.
              > Cheers,
              > Jan.
              >

              > On 28/07/2013 5:42 PM, Frank na wrote:
              > >

              > > Greetings all ,
              > >
              > > I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had
              > > forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container during winters and
              > > summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still
              > > smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone
              > > experience this stuff going off ? If its OK i will make it into rum
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance

            • mav
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2013
                "I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
                > instructions will be appreciated.
                > Cheers,
                > Jan."

                Jan, are still up for a rum recipe? I have my own 23 liter that I've been using for a few years now.

                Cheeres
                Marc

                Ps, I belive molasses is like honey.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jan <jkooms@...> wrote:

                > Frank,
                > I just remembered that I have about 10 imperial gallons of the same
                > stuff sitting in my garage. Just in time for making some Christmas gifts.
                > I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
                > instructions will be appreciated.
                > Cheers,
                > Jan.
                >

                > On 28/07/2013 5:42 PM, Frank na wrote:
                > >

                > > Greetings all ,
                > >
                > > I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had
                > > forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container during winters and
                > > summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still
                > > smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone
                > > experience this stuff going off ? If its OK i will make it into rum
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2013
                  Hi Marc,
                  Thank you for the recipe offer Marc, I love to get it from you.
                  Just email it to:   janooms10@...
                  Cheers,
                  Jan.

                  On 3/08/2013 7:51 PM, mav wrote:

                  "I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
                  > instructions will be appreciated.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Jan."

                  Jan, are still up for a rum recipe? I have my own 23 liter that I've been using for a few years now.

                  Cheeres
                  Marc

                  Ps, I belive molasses is like honey.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jan <jkooms@...> wrote:

                  > Frank,
                  > I just remembered that I have about 10 imperial gallons of the same
                  > stuff sitting in my garage. Just in time for making some Christmas gifts.
                  > I had a recipe somewhere but it got lost, so all answers and
                  > instructions will be appreciated.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Jan.
                  >

                  > On 28/07/2013 5:42 PM, Frank na wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Greetings all ,
                  > >
                  > > I just found an old tub of molasses from a few years ago that i had
                  > > forgotten - its been outside in a sealed container during winters and
                  > > summers - I opened the lid and expected something horrible , but still
                  > > smelt like normal molasses. I have not yet tasted it. but has anyone
                  > > experience this stuff going off ? If its OK i will make it into rum
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance

                • Mike Novak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                    Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?

                    --
                    Mike Novak

                    Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

                  • mav
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                      Mike, Are you responding to me about my rum recipe I offered to Jan?

                      I'll add it because it won't hurt.

                      Marc's 23 liter Rum wash

                      2 liters of molasses
                      3.240 kg of raw sugar
                      2 liters of dunder

                      50 grams of bread yeast
                      20 grams of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)
                      70 grams of tomatoe paste
                      24 grams of DAP
                      one big table spoon of citric acid

                      Method

                      Pour two liters of molasses into the fermenting container then add as much hot water to dilute the molasses and the soon to be added sugar.

                      Stir the diluted molasses until all the molasses off the bottom of the fermenting container. Add the sugar and stir again, then add the dunder if you have it. Stir it again.

                      While the rum wash is cooling, get a cooking pot add about 500 ml of water to the pot then heat it close to the boil then start to add the magnesium sulfate, tomatoe paste, DAP, citric acid and the yeast. Bring it to a simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes then let it cool down or dump it in fermenting container.

                      Once all is combined let cool to 25 - 30 degrees celsius then pitch your perfered yeast. I use 100 grams of bakers yeast to get things going pretty fast.

                      Cheers
                      Marc

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                      > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
                      >
                      > --
                      > Mike Novak
                      >
                      > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                    • RLB
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                        150 g of baker's yeast?  That is a lot of yeast for only 24 g of DAP.

                        Mike, Are you responding to me about my rum recipe I offered to Jan?

                        I'll add it because it won't hurt.

                        Marc's 23 liter Rum wash

                        2 liters of molasses
                        3.240 kg of raw sugar
                        2 liters of dunder

                        50 grams of bread yeast
                        20 grams of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts)
                        70 grams of tomatoe paste
                        24 grams of DAP
                        one big table spoon of citric acid

                        Method

                        Pour two liters of molasses into the fermenting container then add as much hot water to dilute the molasses and the soon to be added sugar.

                        Stir the diluted molasses until all the molasses off the bottom of the fermenting container. Add the sugar and stir again, then add the dunder if you have it. Stir it again.

                        While the rum wash is cooling, get a cooking pot add about 500 ml of water to the pot then heat it close to the boil then start to add the magnesium sulfate, tomatoe paste, DAP, citric acid and the yeast. Bring it to a simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes then let it cool down or dump it in fermenting container.

                        Once all is combined let cool to 25 - 30 degrees celsius then pitch your perfered yeast. I use 100 grams of bakers yeast to get things going pretty fast.

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                        > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
                        >
                        > --
                        > Mike Novak
                        >
                        > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                      • Eric Yendall
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                          I am interested in the rum recipe. Please post it to the group. Thanks

                        • mav
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                            I think I did Eric?

                            If not, here is again.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eric Yendall <eric_yendall@...> wrote:

                            > I am interested in the rum recipe. Please post it to the group. Thanks

                          • White Bear
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                              Gotta ask, what's dunder??
                              WB

                              --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                              > Why not share it amongst the rum drinkers?
                              >
                              > --
                              > Mike Novak
                              >
                              > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                            • Mike Novak
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                                Thanks Marc,
                                Yes it was the rum recipe`, bit different from mine, thats why I'm interested in other viewpoints.

                                Using a 20L drum, I generally add 5 L Golden Syrup/Molasses/Treacle mixture.
                                Depending on what the dunder is "telling" me I add differing proportions of those 3.

                                Then 5 L Dunder and top up Water.

                                Stir, then let nature take it's course.

                                Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment, most times it takes off naturally (mostly in Summer).
                                If not then I add a sachet of champagne yeast.

                                I'll give your recipe a go next brew.

                                Mike

                                --
                                Mike Novak

                                Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

                              • mav
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                                  Hi Lasttoblast, I'm glad you mentioned the yeast amount, I made a mistake!!

                                  The pitching yeast amount is 50 grams for the 23 liter wash, I use 100 grams in my fifty liter molasses wash.

                                  The 50 grams that goes into the pot that gets boiled will have their cells burst and will become extra nutrient, which helps to keep DAP levels down.

                                  Sorry for the mistake.

                                  Cheers
                                  Marc

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                                  > 150 g of baker's yeast?  That is a lot of yeast for only 24 g of DAP.
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • mav
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                                    Dunder is old stillage, (whats left over after a rum stripping run), that has been stored in open tanks to allow development of a strong bacterial flora. It is added to the next fermention to give more flavor.

                                    It's not hard to find this info, just use the search function in this site

                                    Cheers
                                    Marc

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                    > Gotta ask, what's dunder??
                                    > WB

                                  • mav
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                                      G'day Mike

                                      When you said "Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment", thats what my recipe is mostly about. I wanted a repeatable recipe, my recipe is just a mix of other recipes.

                                      Afew years ago, there were some discussion, like why we can use things like tomatoe paste, magnesium sulfate and boiled yeast as nutrients for fermention. I used some of those ideas in my recipe.

                                      Cheers
                                      Marc

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Novak <mike@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks Marc,
                                      > Yes it was the rum recipe`, bit different from mine, thats why I'm
                                      > interested in other viewpoints.
                                      >
                                      > Using a 20L drum, I generally add 5 L Golden Syrup/Molasses/Treacle mixture.
                                      > Depending on what the dunder is "telling" me I add differing proportions of
                                      > those 3.
                                      >
                                      > Then 5 L Dunder and top up Water.
                                      >
                                      > Stir, then let nature take it's course.
                                      >
                                      > Can be a bit of hit and miss with the ferment, most times it takes off
                                      > naturally (mostly in Summer).
                                      > If not then I add a sachet of champagne yeast.
                                      >
                                      > I'll give your recipe a go next brew.
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      >

                                      > --
                                      > Mike Novak
                                      >
                                      > *Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.*

                                    • RLB
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013
                                        I pitched 21 g in 1.25 gallons to see if it would increase fermentation, but it did not make much difference in my case.  Rather than dump a large amount of yeast into my wash, I prefer to start with 5 g of yeast and take a few hours to culture my yeast in large plastic cups (A stir plate is on my wish list).  By the time I am ready to pitch there are 2 large cups of cultured yeast.  Try that the next time you make your wash but double your DAP!

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
                                          I was worried about the taste tomato paste would introduce to the final product, hence I've never gone down that path.
                                          Using Golden syrup, Molasses and Treacle in varying amounts adds a dimension to the dunder which I would be worried about losing,
                                          The hit and miss was more about getting the brew fermenting, obviously better chance of success in summer.
                                          The more natural the better I would have thought?

                                          Nonetheless, it's an interesting exchange of viewpoints.

                                          Mike

                                          --
                                          Mike Novak

                                          Black Cat Multi-Vend Pty. Ltd.

                                        • mav
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 5, 2013
                                            The reason I use large mount of yeast is to reduce lag time, the fermention starts with in 30 minutes. Even Harry used this technique for his rum fermentions.

                                            I go through all the steps when I make my beer, that includes using my magnetic stir plate for a yeast starter.

                                            Cheers
                                            Marc

                                            ps Bread yeast is cheap, $3 for 500 grams.