high %

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2000
      Hi guys,

      As you know I have recently started distilling with a stillmaker-type still;
      results with glass marbles as packing were disappointing, so I have been
      working without packing, relying totally on the amount of cooling water for
      reflux. Last week I distilled some 14% plum wine, boiled it very gently and
      plenty of cooling water and I got 89% initially, dropping slowly to 85%
      after which the distillate only dripped very slowly and nearly stopped. I
      got almost one litre at 86,5% out of 7,5 litre of wine. This is indeed as
      Gert Strand says will happen with his still design. However, one thing I
      found very interesting is, that even at this %, towards the end I got a
      distinctive fusel smell; could this be the result of working without
      packing?
      David, is your alternative for ss scrubbing pads the famous raschig rings or
      do you have something completely new up your sleeve? You've made me curious.

      Rob.