Re: another rye run, plenty of questions

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2013
      Robert,

      I can't comment on al the variables in your mashing process, but if your head temperature was 93C when you stopped distilling, no matter what the distillate tasted like, your wash still had about 10% ABV left in it, so you threw out much of your ethanol when you emptied your still after distillation. If percent yield is your major concern, that's where your problem is. Discarding lots of ethanol as tails is one reason single runs are costly.

      ----snip---

      > - 56 minutes after the first drop I stopped collecting at 93C because the
      > product felt different on the fingers, was no longer fragrant/alcoholic and
      > had a hollow smell
      > - this gave 237ml (only), at 67% abv (!)
      > - I did also dry the leftover grains and weight them. thsi gave me 1.75kg,
      > of the 3.5 that I put in, exactly 50% I was hoping that would tell me
      > something about the yield
      > - the result (only a rough cut, remember) tastes ok apart from one really
      > bad component. more on this below

      > - the rough cut has one bad taste component. I cannot describe it of course,
      > but interestingly it was hard to detect by smelling but quite obvious when
      > tasting. I assume that this means it is not very volatile, has a high
      > boiling point. I have also tasted the exact same thing in quite a few
      > other homebrews, both grain and sugar. This bad taste seems to wear off
      > quite quickly, after two months it is hardly detectable anymore. does
      > anyone know what that could be?

      Bad flavors that are lost quickly to simple evaporation are the lighter, low-boiling components.

       ----snip----

      > the postive result for me is the high alcohol content before and after
      > distillation.

      If you stop a distillation run before distillate ABV has dropped into tails, you can expect to have high ABV in your total collected distillate.

      > regards robert

      (br>
    • Robert Lemmen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 02:02:06PM -0000, tgfoitwoods wrote:
        > I can't comment on al the variables in your mashing process, but if your
        > head temperature was 93C when you stopped distilling, no matter what the
        > distillate tasted like, your wash still had about 10% ABV left in it, so
        > you threw out much of your ethanol when you emptied your still after
        > distillation. If percent yield is your major concern, that's where your
        > problem is. Discarding lots of ethanol as tails is one reason single
        > runs are costly.

        ah yes, that is of course a good point! I'll keep the tails in the
        future and add them to the next run.

        thanks robert

        --
        Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com