Distillate Has Burnt Smell

  • eyendall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2013
      I did a strip run on a 100% 5 gal rye wash yesterday (90% flaked rye, 10% rye malt) which resulted in solids burning on the elements and a burnt smell in the distillate. The wash once I had removed and squeezed-out the rye grains was very sticky and viscous, almost like condensed milk. Anyway my question is, is there any way to remove the smell from the distillate? I have put a buch of activated charcoal in it and have bubbled air through it for a couple of hours but the smell persistes. Can I redistill with success, either a spirit to keep the rye flavour or a reflux run to make vodka out of it? Would be a shame to waste all that work.
    • henry sangret
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2013
        Once you burn the whiskey it mostly stays that way. Sometimes you can mix it 10 to 1 with filtered water and salvage a few pints out of the distillate if you go real slow but for the most part its junk. You should always do your primary stripping with a simple pot still, there are just to many solids in a primary run that will cling and burn on a immersion heater.

        I did a strip run on a 100% 5 gal rye wash yesterday (90% flaked rye, 10% rye malt) which resulted in solids burning on the elements and a burnt smell in the distillate. The wash once I had removed and squeezed-out the rye grains was very sticky and viscous, almost like condensed milk. Anyway my question is, is there any way to remove the smell from the distillate? I have put a buch of activated charcoal in it and have bubbled air through it for a couple of hours but the smell persistes. Can I redistill with success, either a spirit to keep the rye flavour or a reflux run to make vodka out of it? Would be a shame to waste all that work.

      • bluwater2828
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2013
          Add some baking soda say about a tablespoon per gal of distillate at 60 or 70 proof ( 30 to 35 percent). Run it slow for neutral.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

          I did a strip run on a 100% 5 gal rye wash yesterday  (90% flaked rye, 10% rye malt) which resulted in solids burning on the elements and a burnt smell  in the distillate. The wash once I had removed and squeezed-out the rye grains was very sticky and viscous, almost like condensed milk.  Anyway my question is, is there any way to remove the smell from the distillate? I have put a buch of activated charcoal in it and have bubbled air through it for a couple of hours but the smell persistes. Can I redistill with success, either a spirit to keep the rye flavour or a reflux run to make vodka out of it? Would be a shame to waste all that work.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)