Re: [Distillers] Re: Rye

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 11 , May 19, 2013
      I run the water in the waterjacket pot jacket 2 inches below the mash level and get great heat transfer and very very level temperature control. I sometimes wrak a towel arouns the boiler and top of the pot to keep steam in but I can get my first distill down to less than 15% ABV with no problem. I use a propane burner as well, my mash pot is 8 gal and my big pot is 15 gal.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2013
        I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

        Henk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

        > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

      • bluwater2828
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2013
          Bear in mind I'm a student of the art. Certainly no master. But I find using a ratio I read for corn works good for me. I use 8 lbs rye and 2 lbs malted barley for every gallon of water.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

          I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

          Henk

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

          > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)