Re: [Distillers] Re: Rye

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2013
      Thats going to be a very low alcohol yield, unless ytou are adding sugar?  Rye has less starches for conversion than corh where you can do 2 lbs per gallon. My rye batches I fine grind 2.5 lbs per gallon and still yield 1040 to 1045, thats with a very good 2 stage enzyme conversion.  BTW yes ferment on the grain, better clavors, if done off the grain first no alcohol, second the mash tastes pretty flat .

      I distill on the grain as well, I have a water jacket boiler I use, but be sure to use a material to reduce foaming, or you are goin to have a mess.

        I don't have a water jacket ( nice setup by the way). I've run wash that had a fair amount of yeast suspended and mildly scorched but actually running on the grain would be tough not to burn on a gas burner I think.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2013
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, bluwater2828@... wrote:

          > I don't have a water jacket ( nice setup by the way). I've run wash that had a fair amount of yeast suspended and mildly scorched but actually running on the grain would be tough not to burn on a gas burner I think........cut....

          I have never ran on the grain either, but I have also never scorched a batch. I place a heat diffuser over my propane burner. Just a 1/4 inch metal plate and my alembic is about 6 inches above it. I also enclose everything with stacked concrete blocks with the top of the still sticking out, that keeps any breeze off and helps hold heat in.
        • henry sangret
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2013
            I run the water in the waterjacket pot jacket 2 inches below the mash level and get great heat transfer and very very level temperature control. I sometimes wrak a towel arouns the boiler and top of the pot to keep steam in but I can get my first distill down to less than 15% ABV with no problem. I use a propane burner as well, my mash pot is 8 gal and my big pot is 15 gal.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2013
              I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

              Henk

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

              > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

            • bluwater2828
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                Bear in mind I'm a student of the art. Certainly no master. But I find using a ratio I read for corn works good for me. I use 8 lbs rye and 2 lbs malted barley for every gallon of water.

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

                Henk

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

                > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)