Re: [Distillers] Rye

  • Robert Lemmen
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2013
      hi,

      On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 03:51:47AM -0700, bluwater2828@... wrote:
      > On the grain bo. Only way to go in my book.

      could you elaborate on the reason for that? is it because it is easier,
      or for flavor? and do you distill on the grain as well? if so: because
      it is easier, for yield or for flavor?

      thanks robert

      --
      Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
    • henry sangret
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16, 2013
        Thats going to be a very low alcohol yield, unless ytou are adding sugar?  Rye has less starches for conversion than corh where you can do 2 lbs per gallon. My rye batches I fine grind 2.5 lbs per gallon and still yield 1040 to 1045, thats with a very good 2 stage enzyme conversion.  BTW yes ferment on the grain, better clavors, if done off the grain first no alcohol, second the mash tastes pretty flat .

        I distill on the grain as well, I have a water jacket boiler I use, but be sure to use a material to reduce foaming, or you are goin to have a mess.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2013
          In short, yes, it is okay to remove the grain from the mash. The sugars you want should be in the liquid.

          Rye flakes are a bitch to lauter but it's doable.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

          > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

        • bluwater2828
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2013
            I don't have a water jacket ( nice setup by the way). I've run wash that had a fair amount of yeast suspended and mildly scorched but actually running on the grain would be tough not to burn on a gas burner I think.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2013
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, bluwater2828@... wrote:

              > I don't have a water jacket ( nice setup by the way). I've run wash that had a fair amount of yeast suspended and mildly scorched but actually running on the grain would be tough not to burn on a gas burner I think........cut....

              I have never ran on the grain either, but I have also never scorched a batch. I place a heat diffuser over my propane burner. Just a 1/4 inch metal plate and my alembic is about 6 inches above it. I also enclose everything with stacked concrete blocks with the top of the still sticking out, that keeps any breeze off and helps hold heat in.
            • henry sangret
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                I run the water in the waterjacket pot jacket 2 inches below the mash level and get great heat transfer and very very level temperature control. I sometimes wrak a towel arouns the boiler and top of the pot to keep steam in but I can get my first distill down to less than 15% ABV with no problem. I use a propane burner as well, my mash pot is 8 gal and my big pot is 15 gal.

                > I don't have a water jacket ( nice setup by the way). I've run wash that had a fair amount of yeast suspended and mildly scorched but actually running on the grain would be tough not to burn on a gas burner I think........cut....

                I have never ran on the grain either, but I have also never scorched a batch. I place a heat diffuser over my propane burner. Just a 1/4 inch metal plate and my alembic is about 6 inches above it. I also enclose everything with stacked concrete blocks with the top of the still sticking out, that keeps any breeze off and helps hold heat in.

              • Henk
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                  I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

                  Henk

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                    Bear in mind I'm a student of the art. Certainly no master. But I find using a ratio I read for corn works good for me. I use 8 lbs rye and 2 lbs malted barley for every gallon of water.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                    I can get some unmalted rye, wanna make a rye whisky with this and some malted barley for conversion. How much malt do I need to convert the rye, planning to use a pale ale malt

                    Henk

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mcoakley@...> wrote:

                    > I am preparing a 30 gallon batch of Rye mash. Space is a premium in my fermentor. Is it OK to remove only the liquids and put them in the fermentor or do I need to ferment the entire mash?

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)