Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

  • jsutton_co
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2013
      Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

      How to: Initial external cleaning to prepare for polishing.

      What's the best cleaner you've used or heard being used?

      I've heard:
      1) citric acid
      2) colleague at work cleans gun brass and the solution is DAWN + citric acid based product.
      3) CLR Cleaner for the bathroom
      4) Hot backset seems to be mentioned several times (but my interest is to clean before first use).
    • jsutton_co
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2013
        My research found:

        Clear Protective Coatings for Copper and Copper Alloys, Publication TN41, 1991

        http://www.corrosionist.com/pub-41-clear-protective-coatings-for-copper.pdf

        Recommends a product called INCRALAC which is a product that provides a non-dulling formulated protective coating with the addition of benzotriazole as a corrosion inhibitor.

        "The International Copper Association has funded the development of coatings specially formulated for use on copper and its alloys. This work has resulted in a number of recommendations but the only
        coating available commercially as a direct result of this work is "Incralac". "Incralac" is a solvent-based, air drying acrylic resin coating which can be applied by any of the methods commonly used for solvent-based coatings. It contains an addition of benzotriazole which acts as a most effective corrosion inhibitor ensuring that the underlying metal will not tarnish even where the film is damaged. It has a high clarity and is resistant to degradation by ultra-violet light."

        Talasonline.com had the best prices I could find in 30 minutes of GOOGLING and a huge variety of related products, ie., cleaners, polish, rags, etc.

        They carry INCRALAC in several forms (water based, solvent based, aerosol can,):

        http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_search.cfm?ClientID=15&SearchType=Keyword&SearchField=incralac&x=-410&y=-27
      • girlguidebiscuit
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2013
          Vinegar and salt.

          Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

          How to: Initial external cleaning to prepare for polishing.

          What's the best cleaner you've used or heard being used?

        • henry sangret
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2013
            I design my still with threaded clean out ports in the straight sections so I can run a tube brush through. I have tried numerous chemical based cleaners for copper, probably to numerous to recall with only marginal success. The only tried and true method is manual labor and a good cleaner to remove the buildups.

            Copper Porn: What is Best way to clean Copper Pipes?

            How to: Initial external cleaning to prepare for polishing.

            What's the best cleaner you've used or heard being used?

          • doug.hood
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2013
              Hello,
              If you plan to use this copper in a working still I would not apply any of those coatings. One of the benefits of using copper is that it has the natural ability to remove help remove sulfites when exposed to the vapor path. If you coat that surface it loses that ability. I also would be concerned about that coating breaking down over time and becoming part of my product. That can't be good. Use a scrubby pad and clean with a solution of vinegar and water or critic acid and water.
              Doug