Re: [Distillers] Immersion Heaters

  • Angelis
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013
      I am using a liquid nitrogen tank I cut off the top and remove the inside piece had it welded back together and now using a hillbilly still  3 to 2 reducer

      Michael

      On May 7, 2013, at 8:53 PM, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@...> wrote:

      I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.

      Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.

      It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.

      Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!

      J. Adams

    • Robert Reid

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          I'd been thinking along those lines but it seemed an inefficient solution, but maybe not. Without knowing the physics and engineering around this it seemed better to *use* the insulating qualities of the double-wall construction than to work around them by using a heat transfer medium. I'm totally up to trying it, though.

          What about anti-freeze as a heat transfer liquid?

          JamesA

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

          > If there were a way to put heating oil between the walls, and sealed, fire could definitely be used. I can't help but think there would only be a little loss in efficiency. May be worth a try.
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
          > >
          > > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
          > >
          > > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
          > >
          > > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
          > >
          > > J. Adams

        • JamesA
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2013
            You've nailed the solution! I looked up "heat transfer fluids" and it turns out mineral oil would work fine. I can fill the insulating jacket with the mineral oil and heat the Dewar flask s.s. container with a burner!

            I only need to heat the oil to around 200* F. and distillation will proceed. The mineral oil is cheap and would take a lot more heat than I'm going to give it.

            Thanks!

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

            > If there were a way to put heating oil between the walls, and sealed, fire could definitely be used. I can't help but think there would only be a little loss in efficiency. May be worth a try.
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
            > >
            > > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
            > >
            > > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
            > >
            > > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
            > >
            > > J. Adams

          • henry sangret
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3 3:13 PM
              I use a water jacket still for my distillation, and my grandfather did it for a long time before me! It is basically a double boiler set up and you have phenomenal control over the boiler temperatures and no burning the whiskey! I heat with an open flame and it allows me to do large batch primary distillation and great control and a fine touch for the second and if desired the third.