Immersion Heaters

  • JamesA
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7 5:53 PM
      I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.

      Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.

      It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.

      Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!

      J. Adams
    • Angelis

          Message 4 of 11 , May 8 7:40 PM
            If there were a way to put heating oil between the walls, and sealed, fire could definitely be used. I can't help but think there would only be a little loss in efficiency. May be worth a try.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@...> wrote:

            > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
            >
            > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
            >
            > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
            >
            > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
            >
            > J. Adams

          • JamesA
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8 9:59 PM
              I'd been thinking along those lines but it seemed an inefficient solution, but maybe not. Without knowing the physics and engineering around this it seemed better to *use* the insulating qualities of the double-wall construction than to work around them by using a heat transfer medium. I'm totally up to trying it, though.

              What about anti-freeze as a heat transfer liquid?

              JamesA

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

              > If there were a way to put heating oil between the walls, and sealed, fire could definitely be used. I can't help but think there would only be a little loss in efficiency. May be worth a try.
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
              > >
              > > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
              > >
              > > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
              > >
              > > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
              > >
              > > J. Adams

            • ben marks
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 5:48 AM
                if i had one of those i would sell it as its worth a few hundred bucks if you can find someone who need to transport liquid nitrogen  if not do a search on making a boiler with water heater elements
                if you dont know what u r doing it can be a little scary  to plug in the first time but they work ....ben

                ________________________________

                  Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

                ______________________

                Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
                Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
                Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
                . Your Shirt is Mexican.
                Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

                Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
                Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

                _________________________

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: jamesadamslh@...
                Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 00:53:34 +0000
                Subject: [Distillers] Immersion Heaters

                I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.

                Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.

                It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.

                Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!

                J. Adams

              • ballard_bootlegger
                Message 7 of 11 , May 9 2:27 PM
                  J,
                  Immersion heaters work great. Depending on the size of the vessel you can get anywhere from 1400-5500 watt elements from home depot or lowes. The key really is understanding how much power you need and making sure your wash is nicely strained. The element will scorch fine particles ruining your batch and eventually the build up will cause it to overheat and break.
                  I'd recommend checking out http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements, they show you how to put together the heating elements and more. Also reading 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' is great, it will help with your build and distilling with the immersion elements.

                  Have fun and Drink Well,
                  Whitney.
                • henry sangret

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 9 3:14 PM
                      My pot still uses a water jacket ... boiler inside a bigger pot .. to distill. I always can do stripping or spirit runs without being concerned about over cooking the run. I have tried many other methods, oil , sand , and water in the jacket,  but hands down water works the best!

                      --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@...> wrote:

                      > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
                      >
                      > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
                      >
                      > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
                      >
                      > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
                      >
                      > J. Adams

                    • JamesA
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 31 8:38 PM
                        You've nailed the solution! I looked up "heat transfer fluids" and it turns out mineral oil would work fine. I can fill the insulating jacket with the mineral oil and heat the Dewar flask s.s. container with a burner!

                        I only need to heat the oil to around 200* F. and distillation will proceed. The mineral oil is cheap and would take a lot more heat than I'm going to give it.

                        Thanks!

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

                        > If there were a way to put heating oil between the walls, and sealed, fire could definitely be used. I can't help but think there would only be a little loss in efficiency. May be worth a try.
                        >
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JamesA" <jamesadamslh@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm getting back into distilling having sold all my gear when I lost my home to foreclosure. Things are OK, I'm happy and living with my GF.
                        > >
                        > > Someone gave me a SS vessel which had been used to store liquid nitrogen. I want to use it for my pot. It's beautiful! It gleams! And it looks like a cross between R2-D2 and a Dalek.
                        > >
                        > > It's double-walled so I doubt I can heat the mash with a fire. It has two ports through the double wall at the bottom, about 1 5/16" inside diameter, through which I could insert electric immersion heaters, but I have no experience with them.
                        > >
                        > > Has anyone used this method of heating your wash, or can you tell me anything about how they work? Thanks in advance!
                        > >
                        > > J. Adams

                      • henry sangret
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
                          I use a water jacket still for my distillation, and my grandfather did it for a long time before me! It is basically a double boiler set up and you have phenomenal control over the boiler temperatures and no burning the whiskey! I heat with an open flame and it allows me to do large batch primary distillation and great control and a fine touch for the second and if desired the third.