Re: yeast

  • bobcrowder2001
    Message 1 of 26 , May 7, 2013

      I sure would like to get some of that strain of yeast – I have a large pile of cardboard that has been processed through a Geil grinder (hammer mill). I was going to make some papercrete with it but 190proof cardboard sounds better. LOL

      Bob c

    • henry sangret
      Message 2 of 26 , May 7, 2013
        You might want to find out what kind of alcohol it makes.  Dont they make denatured alcohol from wood pulp?

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014

          I started off using turbo yeast a year ago. fair results using a 5 gal pot. I then switched to BSG 9804a distillers yeast. results some good some baaaad. Anyone have any input? Directions say only .25 tsp per gal of liquid

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 9, 2014
            I find the best results comes from growing a large yeast colony before pitching.  I have never had a yeast failure doing it this way, but I have had failures just pouring yeast directly into 5 gal.  You did not mention DAP, lemon juice, or container (yeast needs oxygenated water, food, and low bacteria competition.)

            Next time, this might be a better subject for New Distillers.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 26 , May 19
              You have to count viable cells in order to know your pitch rate.   There's no other way around it. You can guess by starting with new yeast, but about 50% of the dry yeast dies once opened after a few days and a pinhole in packaging can do the same.  It's more obvious to us on a professional scale because a 20kg bale of yeast with a hole in the package will be soft and a sealed one is rock solid.  The small 11g packages are just always soft to me.  Get a small microscope ($50?) and a cheapo haemocytometer ($40) and some methylene blue ($10) and a click-counter and you're all set.

              The flipside is that you could buy a lot of 11g packets with that money though and it's fairly uncommon that distillers overpitch yeast to the point of making an awful product. A cheap stir plate and some boiled wort will prop an 11g package a 100g in about 30 hours. Don't over do the dap, and don't fuck with your pH unless you have a pH meter and know why you're changing ph. All grain gyle will have plenty of nutrients and enzymes for yeast activity.  The cake from a previous batch will have enough cells to do 4 batches (at least) but you have to rack the stock off the cake soon after you hit FG, yeast will die off at an alarming rate under high alcohol beer without food .  This is obviously the best case for homebrewers as it saves you money for about 11-16 generations if you're sterile enough.

              .25 teaspoons/gal of yeast with unknown health is meaningless. A freshly opened package sounds right,  but make a starter and count cells to be positive. Otherwise it's voodoo and no one can really help you.

              Message 6 of 26 , May 19
                Here in the US they didn't start using packaged yeast until 1874.  With that said, many moonshines prefer natural yeast.  Some of my malt customers have stated that their mash started to ferment before they pitched their yeast.  If you make your own gain malts and allow them to rest from 2 to 6 weeks before using live natural yeast will grow on your grain malts.  I for one have decided to go natural and allow my malts to pitch yeast rather than take a chance on packaged yeast.  Yes, packaged yeast does have benefits over natural, but I think I will eventually make a better produce when I open a distillery.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 26 , May 19
                  If your mash starts fermenting before you pitch, you've made a sanitation mistake somewhere in your process. And while I agree that amateur moonshiners often prefer wild yeast, they should read a book about what strains come from grains and what strains come from queen bees and compare that to expected attenuation rates, pH and flavor profiles, but like you said, this is all a conversation better suited for New Distillers.