Re: yeast

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6, 2013
      actually, it's been around for quite some time, maybe it's finally perfected. I believe I read about this several years ago and it can actually ferment newspaper.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

      > Corn cob whiskey anybody?
      >

      > Lowering ethanol production costs:
      >
      > A new strain of yeast that could help streamline cellulosic ethanol costs
      > and production has been developed by USDA researchers. (5/2)
      > http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130502.htm
      >

      > Bob Crowder
      >
      > 4 A Good Auction
      >
      > 3921 Mansfield Highway
      >
      > Fort Worth, Texas 76119
      >
      > 817-536-3921

    • bobcrowder2001
      Message 2 of 23 , May 7, 2013

        I sure would like to get some of that strain of yeast – I have a large pile of cardboard that has been processed through a Geil grinder (hammer mill). I was going to make some papercrete with it but 190proof cardboard sounds better. LOL

        Bob c

      • henry sangret
        Message 3 of 23 , May 7, 2013
          You might want to find out what kind of alcohol it makes.  Dont they make denatured alcohol from wood pulp?

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 9, 2014

            I started off using turbo yeast a year ago. fair results using a 5 gal pot. I then switched to BSG 9804a distillers yeast. results some good some baaaad. Anyone have any input? Directions say only .25 tsp per gal of liquid

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 9, 2014
              I find the best results comes from growing a large yeast colony before pitching.  I have never had a yeast failure doing it this way, but I have had failures just pouring yeast directly into 5 gal.  You did not mention DAP, lemon juice, or container (yeast needs oxygenated water, food, and low bacteria competition.)

              Next time, this might be a better subject for New Distillers.

              Robert