Re: [Distillers] Mash without adding sugar

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2013
      I generally do 5 gallons of water.. and then do a coarse strain to remove the largest of the sediment prior to distillation,  but mostly everything goes into the pot. It makes about 6 gallons with the grain. Don’t forget to get a 5 gallon paint stirrer for your drill .. its a life saver.
      For starch conversion I do a 2 stage starch conversion, first using alpha amylase enzyme at 158 degrees and then when everything is down to room temperature I use gluco amylase and pitch with the yeast.
      It makes a sticky mash for distillation but I get almost a 100% starch conversion and unless you want a mess I use a antifoaming liquid in the pot!

      From: Mike C <mcoakley@...>; To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>; Subject: [Distillers] Mash without adding sugar Sent: Sun, Apr 28, 2013 4:34:29 PM
      Does anyone have a good rye whiskey recipe that dosent require adding sugar? I would like to do an all grain version.

      Thanks

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
          Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • henry sangret
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        5 gallons

        From: Michael Coakley

        How much water do you use with your 7-1-2 combination