RE: [Distillers] Mash without adding sugar

  • bluwater2828
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      I use flaked rye. Malted barley. I do thin with dextrose but you don't have to. Bout 8 lbs rye to 2 lbs malt gives a decent basic recipe

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          What size batch does that make up to ?

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
            I do a more old fashioned way with 7 pounds rye 1 pound wheat and 2 pounds corn. I grind all grain to a fine consistancy and add boiling water to the grain bill. I let the starches work for about and hour than use a enzyme cocktail specially made for grain worts and than you have it !  strarting sg 1045 to 1050

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2013

              How much water do you use with your 7-1-2 combination

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2013
                I generally do 5 gallons of water.. and then do a coarse strain to remove the largest of the sediment prior to distillation,  but mostly everything goes into the pot. It makes about 6 gallons with the grain. Don’t forget to get a 5 gallon paint stirrer for your drill .. its a life saver.
                For starch conversion I do a 2 stage starch conversion, first using alpha amylase enzyme at 158 degrees and then when everything is down to room temperature I use gluco amylase and pitch with the yeast.
                It makes a sticky mash for distillation but I get almost a 100% starch conversion and unless you want a mess I use a antifoaming liquid in the pot!

                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2013
                  5 gallons

                  From: Michael Coakley

                  How much water do you use with your 7-1-2 combination