Mash without adding sugar

  • Mike C
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 9:34 AM
      Does anyone have a good rye whiskey recipe that dosent require adding sugar? I would like to do an all grain version.

      Thanks
    • bluwater2828
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 3:46 AM
        I use flaked rye. Malted barley. I do thin with dextrose but you don't have to. Bout 8 lbs rye to 2 lbs malt gives a decent basic recipe

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        Does anyone have a good rye whiskey recipe that dosent require adding sugar? I would like to do an all grain version.

        Thanks

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • bluwater2828
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29 6:18 AM

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 6:43 AM
            What size batch does that make up to ?

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 12:41 PM
              I do a more old fashioned way with 7 pounds rye 1 pound wheat and 2 pounds corn. I grind all grain to a fine consistancy and add boiling water to the grain bill. I let the starches work for about and hour than use a enzyme cocktail specially made for grain worts and than you have it !  strarting sg 1045 to 1050

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 4:44 AM

                How much water do you use with your 7-1-2 combination

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30 6:38 AM
                  I generally do 5 gallons of water.. and then do a coarse strain to remove the largest of the sediment prior to distillation,  but mostly everything goes into the pot. It makes about 6 gallons with the grain. Don’t forget to get a 5 gallon paint stirrer for your drill .. its a life saver.
                  For starch conversion I do a 2 stage starch conversion, first using alpha amylase enzyme at 158 degrees and then when everything is down to room temperature I use gluco amylase and pitch with the yeast.
                  It makes a sticky mash for distillation but I get almost a 100% starch conversion and unless you want a mess I use a antifoaming liquid in the pot!

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2013
                    5 gallons

                    From: Michael Coakley

                    How much water do you use with your 7-1-2 combination